Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #1

Any problems with A/C unit chance out?

Today I ordered a new A/C unit for my 8314ss. I have had problem for the last two years with the one that came with my RV. It is a 13.5 btu, I am changing out to a 15.0 btu From a Dometic to a Carrier unit. The Dometic is too loud and will not cool well, the Carrier unit is quiet and has a larger coil surface to remove more of a heat load. I am familiar with heating and air conditioning, I was just wondering if anyone had problems with a change from one manufacture to another in and RV? Thanks for any input.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #2

I Am Sorry, I Posted This Twice By Accident........
Old 02-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #3

What did that run you if you don't mind?
UMHockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:26 AM   #4

The cost completely installed was $1076,00 that's with a two year warrenty. The first year parts and labor and the second year parts. The dealer has a 90 day instulation warrenty. This a good time to do this because the camping season is almost here, it will be used hot and heavy under the 90 days. The question was ask by the dealer " what are you going to do with the old one" I told them that I was going to keep it. I am going to remove the refrigerent and install service ports so that I can make sure it was properly charged from the factory. These units like window a/c systems and refridgerators and freezers are called desposable units, they are design not to be worked on as far as the refrigerent circuit, but everything else you can. If the dealer keeps the old one then they would charge me a recovery fee before it could be thrown away. And you never know, they could resell it as used if they kept it.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:41 AM   #5

I see that on one has had any problems with an A/C change, well here is an up date. I ordered a Carrier 15,000 BTU to replace a 13,500 BTU unit two weeks ago, it came in last Tuesday my camper went in Wednesday for a 3 hour change out, while I was waiting for the work to be completed I was reading the info from Carrier it states that a Carrier thermostat is required so it can work properly with the interface of the unit, well the dealer did not order a stat and of course it does not come with one because of the different applications. The dealer order one that day and it came in on Friday. The dealer called and said that the stat came in but, it was the wrong stat, a cooling stat only was sent the system requires a Heat/ cool stat with two speed fan control they tried to get one on Friday but Carrier was closed due to the Holiday. I talked to the dealer yesterday and now the correct one is supposed to be in today. So a 3 hour change out has taken a week. The next question, is it installed correctly. We well see!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #6

An up date, all work has been complete. My camper is now home I picked it up today. How I need some hot weather to test out the A/C.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I'd love to see a pic of it installed when you have a chance..

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #8

My original Dometic went bad just after the warranty ran out but my dealer went to bat for me and got it replaced without charge with another Dometic.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #9

I am off tomorrow and I am working on a mod for the entertainment center in the camper. I have started taking pic of the mod, I will take some pic of the A/C system for you and try to post them tomorrow, I sometimes have problems with size from my home computer, If I E-Mail them to my work computer then I can post them with little problems because they are down sized automatically.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #10

Rockwood, which operating system do you use? Win XP or something else. If you use XP, I can give you a program you can install to re-size your images for web posting.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #11

Yes we have windows XP, our computer needs to go into the shop, we get pop-ups that say that windows is not genuine. Ok we can try your program and see what happens.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #12

Some info I wanted to pass on, my mechanic at the dealer told me that they replace alot of Coleman and Dometic systems, both companies say that there units will operate at voltages as low as 9 volts but they don't. Low voltage occurs when there is a high demand at a camp ground in the summer time. When the voltage drops the amps increase causing compacitors to burn out. Carrier seems to be able to handle the low voltage. We have Dometic at work in our parking booths, we had to replace the unit not only the compacitor burned up but so did the PC board and the wiring.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I had good luck with the CARRIER AC on my Keystone Outback.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:29 AM   #14

Here is a web site for Carrier if anyone has a need....www.airv.carrier.com
Old 03-31-2008, 03:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
I'd love to see a pic of it installed when you have a chance..
Hrer are four pic, the unit on the roof, the stat and the return grill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof unit.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	773   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Image.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	774   Click image for larger version

Name:	stat.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	775   Click image for larger version

Name:	return grill.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	776  
Old 04-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #16

Up Date on New Carrier A/C Unit

All went well, the only thing that was wrong is that the dealer ordered the wrong stat, but that was taken care of in two days. This past weekend we had our first camping trip with the new A/C and the weather was in the mid 80's, so we tried out the new system, wow what a difference, the old Demetic 13,500 I should have did away with a year ago. The Carrier 15,000 BTU cooled the camper down in record time. The only other problem I have found is that the stat is 10 degrees off. In order to maintain 70 degrees, I had to set the stat at 60 degrees. The stat is digital and can not be calibrated. I called Carrier and they are sending me a new one. If anyone has a Carrier and you need a service manual for any reason, here is a webb site... www.transportaircon.carrier.com Then click on T298 and if you need a phone number that is...1-800-673-2431 and ask for Mark Lambert.