Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Wanna Be Camper

Anyone having performance issues with their 13.5K A/C?

Just curious about this. We have a 5k window unit in our bedroom that is 16x20 and it cools the room very well but the 13.5k in our 34' V-Lite can only manage marginal at best on a hot day. I have noticed even when opening the vents on the AC unit it will not cool very well even though there appears to be alot of air flow and it is cold. The ceiling vents do not work well either in that the bedroom ones have far more flow than either set in the living area and oddly enough the set closest to the AC unit have the least amount of air flow followed by the ones over the rear lounge chairs. The interesting thing here is the one in the living area are in line with the output of the AC unit and the bedroom ones need to make a 180 degree turn to get back there if I am not mistaken.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #2

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
We have the similar unit in Rockwood Windjammer. I'm not sure what you can do,before purchasing the model we had read to upgrade to the 15,000 btu A/C just because of that very reason, the 13500 btu seems to lag in performance with a camper that big. Our sales person at RVW also suggested increasing to the bigger A/C unit because of complaints (we ordered ours). I know this doesn't solve your problem and hopefully someone will, but its an easy drop in for the bigger unit because it just sits on a compression seal. Other than the added cost . sorry your having problems!

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #3

Hey TheSacks,

We have the 2012 30' VLite with the 15k AC. We have only been on 2 trips since the purchase but don't have any real problem with cooling even being in south Mississippi's humidity and mid to high 90 degree temps! We try to find a site with shade of some sort and use a large oscillating tower fan in the rear living area and a small box fan in the front bedroom(at night). The AC runs on high fan all day and at night we'll turn it down to low fan. We try to not leave the entrance door open any more than needed and also keep the shades pulled down. I can't say what the inside temps are with the thermostat set around 73 but I don't like to be hot. I'm on vacation! The combination of fans and shade seem to make a difference. Airflow from all the ducts seem to be fine. You may have an obstruction in one of your ducts or you may have to modify the duct opening. There has been a previous thread on this. The upgrade to the 15k from the 13.5k may be a worthwhile investment. After all, you need to be comfortable.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #4

I had the same issue with my 2011 30wfkss V-Lite. It had a 13,500 btu A/C when purchased but it was advertised as having a 15,000 btu A/C. I discovered this after a long HOT weekend with the A/C running from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm every day and it not cooling well at all. By 2:00 pm it was 95 outside 85 in living area, 90 in back bedroom! My dealer made it right and put on the 15,000 btu unit. It helped a little. If you have the atrium slide you might want to tint the windows. I tinted all windows on our atrium slide & large back picture window with mirror tint to block the suns heat and that made a difference too. I also covered up the shower skylite completely. This past weekend was 100 outside, 84 in living area & back bedroom with all 3 sets of ducted vents open. Closed off back bedroom and opened the main vent I installed (another mod, read ahead) at the unit and it dropped to 75 pretty quick. I cut the plastic grill center part out (has sheet metal blanking it off from above too) of the main ceiling grill on the unit and installed a diffuser (from lowes) that will open & close & the metal turn vanes point back towards the back of the camper blowing all that cool air towards the living room. It's much better than the existing smaller vents that are on the main grill. Creates quite a breeze for a quick cool down. Hope this helps you out some.
wfkssvlite is offline   Reply With Quote