Old 05-17-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
Anyone use travel bars in their slides???

My Rockwood came with two travel bars to support the slide while moving. They are a pain to put in and a couple of time my young lads have hit the slide button with them in place! After hitting the RV show this spring I noticed that very few manufacturers use them. Anyone have an opinion on them?

8261ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:33 AM   #2
It's my opinion that they are a wast of time for what they are intended for, but they are good for other things around the house.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
My first 5th wheel had them (bars) I had a MH with straps. Both of those units were older models, pre 2000. Yes they were a pain to use, however I felt that I mfg felt they were needed I would use them. Its better than looking out rear view mirror seeing your slide creeping out.
3500 Ram 5.9l diesel
08 35 RLT Cardinal
5th Airborne Pin Box
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
Nope, never have.......
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
A couple years ago we bought a used class A & it had two of those bars in a closet but no instructions.
I/we thought they were extra cloths storage bars & that’s what we were using them for. We’d set them up in the shower stall & hang extra cloths while driving.

Only found out a couple months ago on a different forum what they were really for. Embarrassing…

After talking with my local RV dealer they said the problem with using them for your slide is the mechanism for the slide is so powerful that if you forget to remove them you could wind up blowing the side wall of your RV. In our new 5er I now use them to secure stuff from shifting in the pass through storage.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #6
They don't fit on my slides. The angle of the seal renders them useless for their purpose, and if you put them on the trim pieces, the nails holding the trim on easily comes off!
Waste of time, in my opinion. Randy
/SIGPIC]'08 V-lite Flagstaff 30WRLS
'06 Ram 1500 QC hemi Reese dual cam sway control,
K&N series 77 intake, Hellwig helper spgs. LT tires,
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
Now a "Top Member"
I had them in my old Skamper TT. I used them in there. Not that difficult to pop in place. I figured if they provide them, they had a reason. They may not have been necessary, but why take the chance. My new 5th wheel does not have them, so no worries.
Ed and Sharon
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS
2011 Ford F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
I will reiterate what I said the last time this subject came up. IMHO , slide locks are nothing more than a "cover my ass" item that are provided for insurance purposes only! In our previously owned '07 Rockwood 2601 the slide seal angle made the locks useless, and in our new 2010 8315BSS, the bedroom slide is so close to the ceiling that it is virtually impossible to install the lock, and again, with the super slide, the seal angle is such that the locks would simply "ride up" the seal in the unlikely event of the slide extending. However, having said all this, for peace of mind and to keep the boss happy, I use them on the super slide anyway !!

VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
I have never used mine for its intended purpose. We store stuff under the table while traveling and I use it to keep it under there.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Moderators' Assistant
at first, i always used them. but now i only put them in for long trips, especially for mountain driving.
i don't bother for short trips.

bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote