Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #1

Anyone Using C-Band Satellite?

I have done research into the two common satellite providers. Unlike when I last had that service, customers must now lease the receivers from the companies, along with paying for service. Based upon that, and the fact that I want as simple a life as possible (read: no more bills or contracts), I am seeking input regarding this subject.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
CorpusBragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Jan Goldfield

I have Dish Network at home. I bought a dish from eBay and have the receiver from home with me. The campground is littered with campers with their satellite dishes lined up, so I guess it works. I have not yet hooked this one up.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Jan Goldfield

Oh, there is no extra monthly cost for this.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I hope to avoid using either common satellite service, for several reasons (lease vs. owning equipment; long-term customers being unable to receive upgrades new customers can get, etc.)
Old 09-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #5

i have always OWNED by dish equipment

that way there is zero contracts. been doing it that way since 1996
first receiver i purchased from camping world, after that just look around at auction sites and shopper rags
Old 09-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #6

powerboatr,

I did too, at one time. As mentioned before, less "entanglements" such as contracts, the better.

I'm still working to educate myself on C-Band service and requirements, but your reference to other resources for receivers is interesting, and will be researched.

Thanks for you learned input!

Andrew
Old 09-20-2010, 07:44 AM   #7

i haven't had C band sense 2004. when rita turned my dish, i didn't replace.
if u were looking to take it with u, several years ago a c band dish was available that opened like an umbrella. i haven't seen them in years.

i went dish because of the portability. programing prices were higher with dish than C-Band at the time. u also could take what u wanted instead of packages.

when i got out, they were pushing to make C Band digital.

what u may want to look into is free to air receivers. there is some programing u can get up there on them...much like the feeds u would see on C-Band way back when. i've only seen the free to air receivers work on ku but they are 950-1450 input (might be wider than that now) that should accept any digital signal sent in that band. they are not decoders so the scrambled channels are still not there.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote