Old 03-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #31
I'm old...... and don't always remember things correctly... but... It seems I read that Forest River owns Westlake tire and have made their own quality demands a touch higher than the old TowMax tires they were buying. Mine came with TowMax, and didn't last nearly that well. If you guys are getting 12K miles out of them with no problems, I wouldn't worry about them. Maxxis are almost all made in Asia, but mostly not in China. Mine were made in Thailand, I think.

Like everyone says... watch that pressure!

J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:14 PM   #32
Yea, I watch the pressure really close. That makes sense (FR owning Westlake), Either way I'm pleasantly surprised at the good reviews on Westlake. I read so many post about blowouts and Chinese cra_p tires, I was wondering if I'm sitting on 4 time bombs. I inspected them today and with about 10K, I can see very little if any wear, no cracks etc..

Rockwood 2104S, 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel.
USMC 68 -70
Too Tall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:05 AM   #33
Originally Posted by davidx2000 View Post
Slightly off topic, but what is the recommended tire rotation on a TT?

1 - Same side, rotate front to rear

2 - Flip left to right, and also front to rear

What about including the spare in the rotation if same/age/make/style as rolling tires?
Probably the best rotation for trailer tires is from side to side to offset road crown.
DOD - RET - Journeyman Aircraft Mechanic
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #34
Westlake Tires

I had Westlakes on my 2013 Sabre. Had a flat in Dawson City Yukon last summer. The mechanic liked Westlakes and felt they were a very good tire which made me more comfortable about them after reading the China reports in this forum. Well I had almost 20K on them and was hoping to return from Florida before replacing them but had a blow out on the way to Florida and replaced all 4 tires. I would probably purchase Westlakes again but would rather try the Maxxis or Goodyears first.
davidgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #35
For what it's worth we have Westlake E tires on our 5er and had a blowout last October. I have no idea what caused it, but it blew apart with no warning from TPMS. I put a spare on it and have about 300 miles on the other 3 Westlake tires (getting 4 new tires soon) with no issues. When I look at the Westlake tires vs the cheap spare that is on it the Westlake looks more "beefy". The sidewall appears to be stiffer, so maybe a higher quality tire than the random china junk???

2011 Ford F-450 4x4 Lariat
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ
Helmsey is offline   Reply With Quote

tire, tires