Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #1

Asking the veterans!!!

Ok. After one full year with my first TT (Salem 30KQBSS) and 6 trips under my belt, one of them a 1800 mile round trip jaunt from Central IL to the Florida panhandle... And numerous "incidents" (broke a window closing my awning in FL) (rammed a fuel pump pylon in WI) now I find myself with, apparently, two bent misaligned axles or spindles... I don't have a lot of confidence in my dealer (still think he hasn't properly adjusted my WD hitch - I feel like I'm taking off in a plane) - here I sit wondering "what to do!!??" I've asked a few other repair shops and they say pay the money and get new axles, or for the time being rotate the balding tires and replace them next year. "Everyone" has told me that the axles could have "bent" from something as slight as a pothole or RR tracks... Can this be true??
I'm in Central IL and looking for someone honest, reliable and local to help me out....
Thanks
Ps - the wife loves the TT life but after all this she is ready to "sell that POS" and forget it.
Help
1972 Kim (wife)
1999 Jack (son)
2009 Vic (wheaten)
grimesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #2

This is how stupid I am... I saw "veterans" and thought "guys who've been around TTs and RVs for years" NOT military veterans.
Sorry guys and thank you for your service, honestly.

[Moderator's note: I moved this thread from the veterans forum]
1972 Kim (wife)
1999 Jack (son)
2009 Vic (wheaten)
grimesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #3

i would advise contacting FR customer service and explain the situation to them and see what answers they provide. Seeing the trailer is a 2012 model they may do the repairs at the factory, if you take it there and they fix while you wait. I can speak highly of their product and they do stand behind it. Dont have the number handy but do a search and you should be able to get it.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #4

Agree completely with Ramair. Exhaust all non-out-of-pocket avenues first, even if it takes a few days/weeks. The situation you describe as "like taking off in a plane" is worrisome, in that it does sound like a WD hitch that's not properly set up. I assume you mean the front of your tow vehicle feels like it has limited ground contact. Many factors come into play here; tongue weight, overall loaded trailer weight, cargo in your tow vehicle, hitch adjustment, type of vehicle you tow with, etc. etc.

However . . . if the axles are bent, that's going to cost someone some coin. I'd start with my dealer, even if your confidence is low, and establish contact with Forest River via their resources. FR may well head you in their direction anyway, so see what you can accomplish by starting with them.

We wish you success!!

Badlands
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote