Old 10-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #1

At my wits end!

Bought our SP37 brand new back in 2005. Absolutely love it. However been battling the hydraulic slide pump leak after the 2nd year. I have sealed it with adhesive gasket sealer, silicone, new "slightly larger O-ring" they all eventually leak. I feel it's because the fluid sits on the seal and eventually finds it's way though. I am ready to try and re-mount the pump vertical to see if it will run properly but keep the fluid at the bottom of the tank vs on the seal 24/7. Any suggestions?
Is there a permanent solution?

Thanks for any help.
Gino

Old 10-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #2

There are 2 kinds of seals that are difficult to a achieve, low pressure and high pressure. An o-ring sealing surface has to be smooth and free of any scratches or dirt. The static force on the o-ring creates the low pressure seal, once the pressure build up the o-ring "extrudes" or displaces itself to create a high pressure seal. For this to work the o-ring has to be properly supported. The o-ring material or gasket has to be rated for hydraulic fluid. Note that hydraulic oil will destroy most silicone. Buna-N or Viton fluoroelastomer o-rings will work with oil. You can get o-rings here, just make sure you size them properly McMaster-Carr. You did not say if the seal was for a piston shaft or just a oil reservoir seal. This link http://www.parker.com/literature/ORD...g_Handbook.pdf is a good book to learn how o-rings work.

Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #3

Thanks for the information.

This is the O-ring between the reservoir and the pump. The flange (the area where the tank meets the pump) is only 1/8" think. There is virtually no seal there. The tank slides on horizontally and the fluid rests on the O-ring 24/7. No matter what I do it always leaks. I have taken it apart 4 times in the last 6 years. I have tried everything. I was hoping someone from Forest River would read this and offer up a solution.

Looks like I am just going to plug the vent, hang the pump vertical and put a new vent at the top and see if it works.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #4

IF I'm reading this correctly, your pump mounts to the reservoir,and the pump has a 1/8" thick mounting plate. IF this is so: NOT sufficient. Find a competent hydraulic repair facility in your area, take the entire unit to them for inspection. They can recommend a better seal for this application. Without seeing all of this, I'd be betting you would need to go to a "Quad" seal.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREGUY1991 View Post
Thanks for the information.

This is the O-ring between the reservoir and the pump. The flange (the area where the tank meets the pump) is only 1/8" think. There is virtually no seal there. The tank slides on horizontally and the fluid rests on the O-ring 24/7. No matter what I do it always leaks. I have taken it apart 4 times in the last 6 years. I have tried everything. I was hoping someone from Forest River would read this and offer up a solution.

Looks like I am just going to plug the vent, hang the pump vertical and put a new vent at the top and see if it works.
Sounds like a bad sealing surface (deformed or scratched). I have designed systems that are always under some form of pressure or vacuum and they have never leaked (unless damaged)
Old 10-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #6

Here's a pic.
There are no deformations in the seal area.
Right where the black arrow points the plastic tank only has 1/8" seating surface against the aluminum pump body.
There is an O-ring just before the 10mm tank bolts where the plastic tank appears circular.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There reason I believe its leaking. as the fluid and or pump gets hot the plastic tank and metal pump expands and contracts at different rates and then leaks.
seen this before.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #8

Sure that's possible. It also happens worse during summer as I know the fluid thins out. I made sure the vent was not plugged so it could expand and contract. Anyone know if this pump will work vertical? That would get the fluid off of the seal area. I just have to relocate the current filler/vent hole.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I believe the only way it will work if it would work in vertical position is pump side down which won't help you.
All your fluid would be at the same spot.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREGUY1991 View Post
Here's a pic.
There are no deformations in the seal area.
Right where the black arrow points the plastic tank only has 1/8" seating surface against the aluminum pump body.
There is an O-ring just before the 10mm tank bolts where the plastic tank appears circular.
Looks like the bolt pattern is spread out to far to get an even seal. You could try a harder or softer o-ring. Just make sure that it is the correct size. Also make sure that the sealing surface and o-ring grooves are smooth, have no nicks or dirt on them, any scratches on the surfaces will cause a leak. You could try to contact the pump manufacturer to see if they have a fix for the problem. McMaster-Carr has o-rings, any size you want. I was wondering, could the plastic tank have a hair line crack that is not visible?