Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
RV Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 34
Automatic Generator Starter (AGS)

I am considering having a RS3000 installed my Georgetown. The RS3000 can actually be installed inline for 50A service requiring no subpanel. I am concerned, however, about the possiblity of accidentally attempting to operate my rooftop AC units on the inverter. I found that Xantrex also sells an Automatic Generator Start (AGS) module. This module apparently can start the generator from a thermostat signal which is very cool! Does anyone on this forum have such a system installed? I am primarily concerned about the compatibiliy with my roof top AC units. I actually do not have a conventional thermostat but rather a remote control that apparently accesses the thermostats persumably in the unit. I am a little concerned whether or not this type of system can be wired in to communicate properly with the AGS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
__________________

__________________
AllenCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
NWJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Enumclaw, WA
Posts: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenCrabtree View Post
I am considering having a RS3000 installed my Georgetown. The RS3000 can actually be installed inline for 50A service requiring no subpanel. I am concerned, however, about the possiblity of accidentally attempting to operate my rooftop AC units on the inverter. I found that Xantrex also sells an Automatic Generator Start (AGS) module. This module apparently can start the generator from a thermostat signal which is very cool! Does anyone on this forum have such a system installed? I am primarily concerned about the compatibiliy with my roof top AC units. I actually do not have a conventional thermostat but rather a remote control that apparently accesses the thermostats persumably in the unit. I am a little concerned whether or not this type of system can be wired in to communicate properly with the AGS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Personally and this is just me talking here but I would NEVER want that generator running unless I started it myself. I don't see the need for this feature on an RV.
__________________

__________________
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member
 
cfsoistman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upperco, Maryland
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenCrabtree View Post
I am considering having a RS3000 installed my Georgetown. The RS3000 can actually be installed inline for 50A service requiring no subpanel. I am concerned, however, about the possiblity of accidentally attempting to operate my rooftop AC units on the inverter. I found that Xantrex also sells an Automatic Generator Start (AGS) module. This module apparently can start the generator from a thermostat signal which is very cool! Does anyone on this forum have such a system installed? I am primarily concerned about the compatibiliy with my roof top AC units. I actually do not have a conventional thermostat but rather a remote control that apparently accesses the thermostats persumably in the unit. I am a little concerned whether or not this type of system can be wired in to communicate properly with the AGS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have the RS3000 in my Georgetown 370. The AGS is a nice feature where you predetermine at a particular loss of battery voltage the generator starts up to recharge the batteries. It also can be set to come on when it senses a predetermined load. I prefer to manually turn on the generator when using the AC units or microwave. Mine is not wired into the t-stats though.
__________________

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Posts: 635
This past summer we spent a week-end (3 nights) camped right next to a large motorhome with an auto generator. The thing turned on and off intermittently all night long, every night. Not overly loud, but as I am a light sleeper, it got real old real fast !!!

...VTX-AL
__________________
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
NWJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Enumclaw, WA
Posts: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
This past summer we spent a week-end (3 nights) camped right next to a large motorhome with an auto generator. The thing turned on and off intermittently all night long, every night. Not overly loud, but as I am a light sleeper, it got real old real fast !!!

...VTX-AL
I might add that most RV parks have a strict no generator policy. I have seen where guys leave too much load on in their rigs and leave for the day, blowing the circuit breaker on the post and loosing power. In this case a generator starting on it's own may just get you the boot out of the park when you return.
__________________
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
RV Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 34
I was not planning on using the AGS when in a RV park. I am not a serious dry camper and would not want to disturb my neighbors if I were. I am primarily looking for an inverter for light loads while traveling down the road. As the RS3000 can be installed inline for the entire 50A service with no subpanel there is a risk that someone (my wife) could forget and turn on the rooftop units while traveling down the road. I do not really have any desire to run my AC's off of the inverter so I thought the AGS would be a good accessory that could automatically start the generator when it detected this new load.
__________________
AllenCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
RV Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 34
cfsoistman,

I wonder if the current draw of the blower fan would be enough of a load to start the generator? There is up to a 3 min compressor start delay whenever the AC unit turns on. This should give you plenty of time to get the generator starter before the compressor kicks in. I would think the larger overall load would be the compressor but I have never seen a break down on the current draw with the blower fan only. I would think that would work without having to wire in the thermostats. It is just not clear how I would wire my thermostats in if I wanted to. There is a thermistor on the ceiling unit tied to a control module that turns on and off the unit. I would think I could hack into the signal wire coming from the control module to the main unit but I don't feel comfortable doing that.
__________________
AllenCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member
 
cfsoistman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upperco, Maryland
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
This past summer we spent a week-end (3 nights) camped right next to a large motorhome with an auto generator. The thing turned on and off intermittently all night long, every night. Not overly loud, but as I am a light sleeper, it got real old real fast !!!

...VTX-AL
Obviously that camper didn't use the quiet time function. Mine is set to not run between 10:00 PM and 7:00 AM. Of course I can't run my AC Unit and I restrict my use of current. It's the user not the product at fault.
__________________

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member
 
cfsoistman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upperco, Maryland
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenCrabtree View Post
cfsoistman,

I wonder if the current draw of the blower fan would be enough of a load to start the generator? There is up to a 3 min compressor start delay whenever the AC unit turns on. This should give you plenty of time to get the generator starter before the compressor kicks in. I would think the larger overall load would be the compressor but I have never seen a break down on the current draw with the blower fan only. I would think that would work without having to wire in the thermostats. It is just not clear how I would wire my thermostats in if I wanted to. There is a thermistor on the ceiling unit tied to a control module that turns on and off the unit. I would think I could hack into the signal wire coming from the control module to the main unit but I don't feel comfortable doing that.
The blower motor doesn't draw much at all. I've ran mine on the inverter on occasion. If I know I'm going to need the AC unit to keep the coach comfortable I manually turn on the generator. I rarely have done so mostly because when I have a long distance to travel (8 - 10 Hours )I generally do it at night. I'll leave around 10:00 PM and take my time, stop at a couple rest stops along the way. However, if we're on our way back from the beach and traffic is bumper to bumper then the generator will most likely be running along with AC. My unit is set up to start the generator at 10 amps load. Most of the time without useing any AC units. The load is only 3 to 6 amps most times.
__________________

__________________

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.