Old 02-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtelguy View Post
nwjeeper, I hate to rub it in ha! ha! but if we had electrical drawings there would not be any mystery.

re: your battery disconnect switch light, according to the info I have the light will always be on when connect to AC power. it should go off when no AC connected and it is activated. Sounds to me
you have a bad switch or it is wired wrong.
Actually it's no mystery to me what they did. They connected the 12V in and the 12V out in the wrong place thereby lighting up the light all the time reguardless. I just had the panel out the other day to connect up another porch light cirucit and could have switched those two wires and solved it but I didn't think of it. Not surprising really as I tend to forget half the time what I got off the couch to walk into the kitchen for.

What was I talking about?

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #12

I tried to send you a private message however i'm not sure i was successful. So here goes, I would like to know how you can rewire the light/switch so that the light is on only when the batteries are connected to the DC distribution buss.

mbtelguy

Old 02-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #13

Quote:
I tried to send you a private message however i'm not sure i was successful. So here goes, I would like to know how you can rewire the light/switch so that the light is on only when the batteries are connected to the DC distribution buss.

mbtelguy
Sorry I haven't answered your PMs as I have not had the computer open much in the last few days (I work weekends) and I don't always pay attention to the little PM notice in the corner of the screen.

As far as a normal switch is concerned you have 2 contacts which would be input and output and they are interchangeable. You put +12 Volts on one terminal and the load (output) on the other. On an internally lit switch the light inside draws it's +12 volts from the load or output terminal of the switch. If one reverses the +12 volt input and load wires then the light inside will always have a +12 volt supply and thus stay lit all the time but the switch will still operate as normal. There is of course a 3rd terminal on the lit switches which as you know would be the ground side for the bulb.

Now if there isn't a constant voltage being passed by the switch such as a momentary then there should be an extra lug for the +12volt input for the light. That lug would be connected to the output side of the cut off relay and the light would come on or off depending on the state of the switching relay. If that wire was connected to the input side of the relay instead of the output side then you would again, get +12 volts all the time. This is more what I figure the case to be on my rig and if I were really all that upset about it I would track it down further. A little work with the volt/ohm meter would tell me what is going on.

As I am going to be installing a 500ohm shunt and wiring in a Trimetric amp meter soon I may devote some time to it.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 02-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #14

nwjeeper, heres the way I have been told it is wired see sketch.
Based on this there is no way of simple moving wires on the switch.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #15

Quote:
nwjeeper, heres the way I have been told it is wired see sketch.
Based on this there is no way of simple moving wires on the switch.
This diagram doesn't really make sense to me as you don't show where the batteries or battery disconnect relay are. The output of the 12volt converter should be to the load only and a separate charge wire should run to the batteries from the charge ouput of the converter. I would really have to break out the volt meter to really figure it out. What I see from your diagram is the switch shorting the +12 volt to ground if it's closed???
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 02-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #16

O.K. so for a test I just went out to the rig and turned off the main breaker for the converter and switched off the batteries. The light on the switch slowly dies out. Why they wired the switch this way is retarted to me. I would just as soon have one with no light like my old rig had. However compared to other things I guess the amperage draw is minimal.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 02-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #17

It slowly dies because of the capacitors in the power converter.
mbtelguy
Old 02-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #18

nwjeeper, here is another simplified sketch of the complete power ckt.
As you can see rewiring the switch or disconnect relay will not
change the battery light the way we would like to see it operate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Ckt.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	2137  
Old 06-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #19
2008 390BH

the 390bh has a hjigh level drawing on the left side of the battery bay up near the engine batteries. I have drawn this out by hand to better understand how things are connected. I have the same flashing Aux Start switch and all seems well.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #20

justinph-
If you come up with something as to why this light flashes, please let us know. My unit has been doing this for 2 years. Has not caused any problems in that time but it is just an anomaly that I would like to get an answer to.
Thanks.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote