Old 05-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #1

Awning Gas Strut Replacement

I've searched far and wide and can't find a video or post on how to do this. I need to replace one of the gas struts on my awning. It is a CareFree awning and I ordered the exact one. I can't for the life of me figure out how to install the new one. The Gas strut is fully extended and there is no way to compress it to fit into the existing eyelets. Not sure if i have to dismantle the arms of the awning.

Anyone done this before?

oscarp70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #2

I replaced one on my A & E Dometic awning and it was a real bear doing it by myself. I only had a 7' ladder. Taking it out was the easy part. I had to have the awning extended and wish I had an extra person to assist. It would have been so much easier. I did have to disconnect a portion of the arms. I to couldn't find anything on the internet.

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:51 PM   #3

I just had to rebuild my arms because one broke and the replacement was bent. So, I had to take both the old and the new apart to make one good one.

Removing the pins would be the way that I would do it.

If it's like mine there are internal tooth fasteners on pins. Remove the fastener by pulling/prying it off the pin. You can buy replacements at ACE Hardware. Just bring in one and get approximately the same size.

Once you have the pin out there should be zero tension on them. Should be easy to replace.

I used a socket to put the new fasteners on the pins.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, gas, replacement