Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #1

Awning Spline Repair

Does anyone have any tricks for repairing the spline that holds the awning faberic onto the roller? I was thinking of just attempting to push new spline in a little at the time as I removed the existing stuff. Does anyone know the size of the spline? I cut a little piece of it off to take with me to the hardware store but if someone knew the size that would be helpful.

Interesting this started with just a little sticking out. I seems more is coming out just sitting in the driveway. That does not sound possible but it sure looks like it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180726_082333.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	181315
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #2

It is one of those things that is VERY hard to Push Back In! You can try if you have LOTs of patience! Removal might be in order! There should have been 1 or 2 Screws holding it in location! Youroo!!
Old 07-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Site Team

I'd try pushing the existing piece back in the loop. Take all the tension off the fabric and then I'd spray some silicone spray in both ends, and then try to push in back in. You may be surprised how easy it is to get back in.

The awning spline is 3/16" (.188) diameter PVC or Vinyl rod. Take all the tension off the fabric and lube it up with soap and you should be able to push it through the loop as you remove the old.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #4

Thank you for the information. I looked around on line and the name of that seems to be poly cord. Also from what I see on line the awning fabric is attached to the roller in two channels. I have no idea which one this one is out of. I am going to need to move the trailer in order to open the awning to see what is going on. I guess I will take a look at it this weekend. Again, thank you both for your responses.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #5

I followed the advise of just pushing the poly cord back into the channel patiently. It is the "patently" part that is difficult. Actually, I worked at it pretty patently. I bend the poly cord at a 90 degrees and used the 90 degree bend to push on. 95% of it was not too bad, just a little bit of a slow process. The last 5% took as long as the 95%. Actually, I never got it pushed in all the way. I still had an inch that I just could not get back in. I eventually cut it off flush as I had messed up the end trying different ways to push it. I put a screw through the channel to hold it as that is what the factory did on the other grove. I have no idea why they did not put a screw on this grove as well. Hopefully the screw will hold it in place for a while. Now I just need to clean the awning and I would be good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Poly Cord Repair 1.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	181516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poly Cord Repair 2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	181517  
Old 07-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
Site Team

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how it worked out for you. And thanks a bunch for the pictures.

Putting the screw in should solve the problem from now on.

Tags
awning, repair