Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #11
Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
Warranty will cover towing for now. I think my RV insurance will cover then. If not, I will get Good Sams CSP.

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #12
I have never had a bearing problem with any pull type trailer. I would estimate that I have pulled well over 100,000 miles since 1961. My secret: Remove bearings once a year or every 3 to 5 thousand miles, clean and inspect thoroughly for any visible signs of wear, repack properly using only high temp bearing lube( my current favorite is Mystik JT-6).

If there is any signs of wear, replace only with a bearing made in America or Canada. I have seen many bearing problems with components made in China, Tiawan, and Mexico.
Even though you are told that they are the same and as a retired design engineer of 41 years experience, it is my opinion that they are inferior.

It is my opinion that a majority of axle bearing problems come from:
1. Losing track of when the bearings were last serviced. ( keep good notes and hang these notes in plain view on the wall of your garage.

2. Overtightening the axle nut. Leave a slight amount of play in the bearings. Overtightening results in heated bearings and failure.

3. Not keeping rear seals in excellent condition. I know many folks that replace them every time that they repack bearings. I always inspect the seals and replace if defective.

Current Trailers:
1984 Coleman Estimated miles pulled 40,000 miles
2003 Rockwood Freedom 1000 miles
1999 Heavy Duty Utility Trailer 15000
1961 Light Duty Utility Trailer 40,000
1977 Airstream 35000

banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
axle bearing failure

I have Al-ko torsion axles on my Rockwood fifth-wheel. My r.f .tire had to be replaced because of wear after 5000 miles. I also replaced the frt. axle assembly because we thought the axle was bent. On my first trip the new axle wheel bearing burned up with only 500 miles on the new axle.

It cost me $900 to get it repaired on road. Alko sent me only $400 - a long way from the $900. The bearing must not have been lubed at the fractory.

The real issue is why are the tires all wearing out on the inside edges. The trailer axles weigh 7000 lbs. when it is connected to the truck. The axles are rated at 3500 each. That means to me that the trailer is overloaded and that is why all the tires are wearing on the inside edges.

I am not carrying any extra weight, just a normal load. The axles are too small for the fifth-wheel.

I am getting a new, different manufacturer, fifth-wheel to get away from unsafe condions and excessive tire wear.

Truckwheel is offline   Reply With Quote