Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #1

Background Hum From Stereo

Hello all, I just purchased a Cedar Creek Fifthwheel and I am getting a hum noise from my stereo. The stereo is a Concertone Digital Surround 5.1. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of problem? Not sure what to do or if anything can be done. Since I like to listen to the stereo at very low volume the hum is quite noticable, but not a higher volume. I want to continue to respect my fellow RV neigbours.

Thank You.

Jacob.. Chilliwack BC
jacobnewfulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #2

Welcome jacobnewfulltimer to our site. I moved your post in an attempt to get you some help.

I have read at rv.net many having the same problem. Seems the new 5.1 is no better than the last version. I would call forest river and throw a fit if I had the problem.

Just my 2 cents and again welcome,

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #3

welcome aboard as well
joins us often

mine had a slight hum and i found it was a loose cnnection on the power feeds, the 12volt positive wire was not tight in the wire connector.

every now and then if its sleceted as aux and the cell phone is about to ring it goes burp burp beep then the phone rings ?????
Old 10-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #4

powerboatr is right on track take the screws out and the unit will come out far enough to allow you to see the wires Check all the connections to make sure they are pushed together all the way Also make sure your surround sound cables are pluged in properly from your vcr,dvd,or tv if you have any of these things are hooked up to it If not you may want to shop around for a new unit
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #5

with my dealings withthe same system, and also installation of car stereo systems, try to pull the unit out a bit,as mentioned below, but not too far, and check to see that your speaker wires, and antenna IN wire, are not entangled around the power supply wires, this causes interferance that causes strange noises. if you can tape or zip tie the speaker wires separately from the others as much as possible.

also check to see that the X-Bass is not on, as with low volume that will also cause a hummmmmmmm

goood luck
2005 Kawasaki 700 4x4 ATV
2002 Kawasaki 300 4x4 ATV
2008 Chinese 110CC kids atv

4 Great Kids......
and a wonderful wife of 12 yrs now.....
Could not ask for more
Young Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #6

to FRF!!

check the things the previous folks mentioned and keep us posted!

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #7

I have the same issue, though mine is static rather than a hum. This seems typical of both the ZX500 and 600, thought the 600 is supposed to be an "improved" model. I disconnected all the inputs from my unit and the static/frying sounds continued...like your unit, the noise is the greatest with the volume at 1...oddly, when the volume is zero, it is quiet...but at 1, the noise is the greatest. I am in the process of demanding a warranty replacement, but dont hold out much hope it will be any better. I plan on recording the static in case my dealer or FR disagrees with my assessment of the issue.
jwcgc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:16 PM   #8

chevk out the tread i started in the rockwood ultralight forums. i have an 08 2701ss rockwood and have installed 9 units. all bad. is the sound clear if you just turn on the other speakers(if you have them). mine is only noisey on channel a. it is clear on channel b and c. it is not wiring because i can make it do it on the work bench with a known good speaker. i have proven this at the dealer on his bench. the conecertone is junk and we have to demand proper repairs from forest river or replacement with a unit that works. this is b.s. when are they going to fix this long time issue.
skidoonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #9

Skidoonut...Im not surprised about the 9 unit thing...Im just starting the warranty process but dont hold out much hope given everything I have read.,.....just find it odd that the particular speaker selected would make a difference. Mine has static on all 3 sets of speakers. The static seems to be coming from the units power amplifier, so it doesnt make sense that it would be different from speaker to speaker...then again, this is a magical piece of junk and anything is possible.
I agree that FR needs to cut the crap and make this issue right.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #10

Further troubleshooting of the Concertone seems to indicate that the noise issue lies in the Dolby 5.1 decoder....it is not present on the B and C speakers. Sounds like the decoder is running wild while trying to process input signals. I have passed this on to Jeff Richardson @ FR and he said he would suggest this to his techs. Cant imaging in this day and time that such a crappy piece of audio equipment could actually be mass produced.