Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

As Jim said, the Winegard Sensar antenna is a POWERED antenna. There is almost no signal down from the amp in the white plastic head that the bat wings come out of without 12 volt power. The green light on the amp must be on. That not only switches the wall plate from cable to roof antenna but it routes power up the coax to power the amplifier located up on the roof.

If you bypass the wall plate you will get no (or very little) signal. Without the green light on, I get no over the air signals even though the tower is 6 miles away.

Make sure the coax wires are connected to the correct connections on the back of the wall plate.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #22

You could have a similar problem as I had on our new trailer that we bought last year. I tried every way to get it to work with our dish set up outside, even with cable it would not work regardless of what I did with the switch for the amplifier. i even disconnected it from the back side of the receptacle and still did not work. The only thing I could get it down to was that either a nail or staple went through the cable when it was being built. I ended up running a new cable from the Cable outlet on the outside to the jack inside and all is well. Of course this was probably a lot easier to do on my trailer than it would be on yours seeing as it is going through the ceiling.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'ray View Post
You could have a similar problem as I had on our new trailer that we bought last year. I tried every way to get it to work with our dish set up outside, even with cable it would not work regardless of what I did with the switch for the amplifier. i even disconnected it from the back side of the receptacle and still did not work. The only thing I could get it down to was that either a nail or staple went through the cable when it was being built. I ended up running a new cable from the Cable outlet on the outside to the jack inside and all is well. Of course this was probably a lot easier to do on my trailer than it would be on yours seeing as it is going through the ceiling.
I think you are talking about a satellite dish; correct? You can NOT get a satellite signal though the cable TV input on the trailer since it goes through the wall amp. It has to be "home run" from the outside of the camper directly to the sat receiver; unless there is a port on your wall plate that says SAT on it and you use the SAT connector on the outside of the camper.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #24

This was actually bypassing the amp. At first I did not know about the amp not allowing Sat signals to pass through. After I found this out I disconnected the cable that comes from the outside connection from the amp and ran it straight to the receiver and still had nothing. It was not until I ran a new cable in from the outside connector that I was able to get it working. So I chalked it up to there being a short in the cable somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I think you are talking about a satellite dish; correct? You can NOT get a satellite signal though the cable TV input on the trailer since it goes through the wall amp. It has to be "home run" from the outside of the camper directly to the sat receiver; unless there is a port on your wall plate that says SAT on it and you use the SAT connector on the outside of the camper.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #25

Thanks for the info Lou and all, I hate to say this but I was on the wrong cable. After looking at the attachment you sent me, the right cable is the black one on the left. I hooked it up going through the amplifier and still no signal so I just hooked it up straight to the TV with a coupler and got a signal. Now I'm thinking that the amp is bad. Where is the best place to buy one of these ?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Dog View Post
Thanks for the info Lou and all, I hate to say this but I was on the wrong cable. After looking at the attachment you sent me, the right cable is the black one on the left. I hooked it up going through the amplifier and still no signal so I just hooked it up straight to the TV with a coupler and got a signal. Now I'm thinking that the amp is bad. Where is the best place to buy one of these ?
I would email winegard (or whoever made your wall plate) and explain what is happening. They have pretty good customer service. If you are nice, they just might mail you one.

If not, any RV store (and I mean any) can order you a wall plate. I even think you can order online. There are several different kinds and the new one with the signal strength meter built in is the "cat's meow"
SensarPro RFL-342 TV Signal Strength Meter

However you would lose the SAT connector off the plate. You could cut in a new plate from Lowes or Home Depot with just a single F connector on it.
Shop Pass & Seymour/Legrand White COAX Wall Plate at Lowes.com

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #27

Thanks again Lou. I will see if I can get up with winegard. Looks like the new one is the way to go if I have to buy one.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #28

i haven't done a much looking around. i purchaced a replacement batwing ant at campingworld. i would suggest buying the whole thing. that way u have it all.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #29
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
i haven't done a much looking around. i purchaced a replacement batwing ant at campingworld. i would suggest buying the whole thing. that way u have it all.
There is always a chance that it is a "double failure" (both the wall plate and the amp in the antenna), but the odds are against it if there is any signal at all coming down from the roof.

Since the power supply in the wall plate is also a "switch" (toggling between roof amp and cable), if the circuitry that switches back and forth is locked in "cable"; power will not go to the antenna amp.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #30

I think that I will take the antenna off my Lance pick-up camper and put it on the 5th wheel and try it. That will let me know if it the antenna is bad before I order a box for the wall. Winegard is closed anyway for Easter right now. I may even take the box out of the camper also if I still have the same problem by changing the antenna. One good thing about 2 campers I guess.

Tags
antenna