Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #1

Bad antenna wire

Good morning to all, I have a "All American Sport" 36ft toy hauler and am having a problem with the antenna. I don't get a signal through the coax wire. I have run a new coax from the antenna on the roof to the TV and all is good. Looks like the coax from the antenna to the wall box is bad somewhere. The question is how do you go about getting the old one out and a new one back in ? Looks like the coax that comes off the antenna is gray in color but the coax that comes out of the wall to the box is orange. Must be a connection somewhere in the wall. Any help would be great.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Dog View Post
Good morning to all, I have a "All American Sport" 36ft toy hauler and am having a problem with the antenna. I don't get a signal through the coax wire. I have run a new coax from the antenna on the roof to the TV and all is good. Looks like the coax from the antenna to the wall box is bad somewhere. The question is how do you go about getting the old one out and a new one back in ? Looks like the coax that comes off the antenna is gray in color but the coax that comes out of the wall to the box is orange. Must be a connection somewhere in the wall. Any help would be great.
here is how your unit is wired.

You will note that the amp must be "on" (green light on panel) to get signal from the roof antenna to the TV. With the amp "off" the external antenna is disconnected and the "cable" connection outside is turned on.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #3

Thanks again for the reply. I will try that tonight when I get home from work.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #4

Bad atenna wire

Well I went home last night and tried putting it all back together with the booster turned on and still not signal. Looks like it is going to be a long trip trying to get the old wire out of the wall and a new one pulled back in.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked the connection that goes through the roof ?? On my Surveyor, the center wires on both sides of the connection were corroded away. Once I cut back the cable to expose new wires, all has been good since.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #6

The wire that goes to the antenna is good and then it goes through the roof and connects somewhere down in the ceiling to the wire that runs through the camper to the box. The antenna wire is gray and the one that hooks to the box in the wall is orange so the means that there is a connection somewhere in the wall or ceiling. Now to find out where.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If you can get to it (which you will have to do if you replace the coaxial cable), run a jumper from the roof connector to the booster to see if you then get a signal. Check the end of the exist coaxial where it connects at ceiling to make sure things look good there.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #8

Sounds like I'm not the only one with a non working unit. Mine was working last fall... now NOTHING! I relaced the amplifier... still nothing. Grrrr I don't want to have to take down our satalite dish (we did for the month long+ stay last November) and take with us just to have TV. This is making me crazy.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #9

Skeeter join the club because this antenna is about to drive me drinking and I gave that up years ago. I have checked with a meter from the antenna to the end that goes in the box and got no signal so I know the wire is the problem somewhere. Now to find out where.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #10

is ur tv in a slide out? trying to figure where they changed the color.

as was already stated, it is probably in one of the connectors. i'm still looking for mine. (maybe i'll find it when i make a real effort). mine is intermittant.
i would like to know what u find. the wire run would be something i would look at after just abt everything else.

Tags
antenna