Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #1

Bad antenna wire

Good morning to all, I have a "All American Sport" 36ft toy hauler and am having a problem with the antenna. I don't get a signal through the coax wire. I have run a new coax from the antenna on the roof to the TV and all is good. Looks like the coax from the antenna to the wall box is bad somewhere. The question is how do you go about getting the old one out and a new one back in ? Looks like the coax that comes off the antenna is gray in color but the coax that comes out of the wall to the box is orange. Must be a connection somewhere in the wall. Any help would be great.
Big-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Dog View Post
Good morning to all, I have a "All American Sport" 36ft toy hauler and am having a problem with the antenna. I don't get a signal through the coax wire. I have run a new coax from the antenna on the roof to the TV and all is good. Looks like the coax from the antenna to the wall box is bad somewhere. The question is how do you go about getting the old one out and a new one back in ? Looks like the coax that comes off the antenna is gray in color but the coax that comes out of the wall to the box is orange. Must be a connection somewhere in the wall. Any help would be great.
here is how your unit is wired.

You will note that the amp must be "on" (green light on panel) to get signal from the roof antenna to the TV. With the amp "off" the external antenna is disconnected and the "cable" connection outside is turned on.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #3

Thanks again for the reply. I will try that tonight when I get home from work.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #4

Bad atenna wire

Well I went home last night and tried putting it all back together with the booster turned on and still not signal. Looks like it is going to be a long trip trying to get the old wire out of the wall and a new one pulled back in.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked the connection that goes through the roof ?? On my Surveyor, the center wires on both sides of the connection were corroded away. Once I cut back the cable to expose new wires, all has been good since.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:18 AM   #6

The wire that goes to the antenna is good and then it goes through the roof and connects somewhere down in the ceiling to the wire that runs through the camper to the box. The antenna wire is gray and the one that hooks to the box in the wall is orange so the means that there is a connection somewhere in the wall or ceiling. Now to find out where.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If you can get to it (which you will have to do if you replace the coaxial cable), run a jumper from the roof connector to the booster to see if you then get a signal. Check the end of the exist coaxial where it connects at ceiling to make sure things look good there.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #8

Sounds like I'm not the only one with a non working unit. Mine was working last fall... now NOTHING! I relaced the amplifier... still nothing. Grrrr I don't want to have to take down our satalite dish (we did for the month long+ stay last November) and take with us just to have TV. This is making me crazy.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #9

Skeeter join the club because this antenna is about to drive me drinking and I gave that up years ago. I have checked with a meter from the antenna to the end that goes in the box and got no signal so I know the wire is the problem somewhere. Now to find out where.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #10

is ur tv in a slide out? trying to figure where they changed the color.

as was already stated, it is probably in one of the connectors. i'm still looking for mine. (maybe i'll find it when i make a real effort). mine is intermittant.
i would like to know what u find. the wire run would be something i would look at after just abt everything else.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #11

i can give u a suggestion if ur wanting to pull another wire but i would give it a lot of thought before u actually follow my advice.

if u can find the other end from the antenna end. i would tape a new coax (with a 6" overlap) then pull it thru. tape the entire overlap and tape each side of the overlap (to keep it from hanging up if pulled from either direction).
when i built my house, i put a couduit under the slab and would pull two wires, use one and the other was to pull additional cables.

again, before u follow this, give it a lot of thought. i don't know how they routed the wire or what u can hang up on.

pulling a wire would be after i tracked down the connectors and found those to be good.

if it is in a slide out, there may be a connection below somewhere. u know they didn't come thru the top.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #12

The TV is not in the slide out. I'm thinking that the color change is where the wire comes from the antenna and goes through the roof for just a short distance. I will get into it maybe this weekend if it doesn't rain. I will port if I find the problem.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #13

ok.
Sense my second tv is just under the ant (amp by tv1), i've thought abt switching my ant to the second tv wire and switching them at the amp. then switch tv2 to the old ant wire and see if tv one works ok off the amp. secondly see if tv 2 develops same intermittent problems.
if all worked, would leave it alone. if problem persisted as origional, i would suspect the ant or the amp.
all of that is way down the list.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Second tv connection ??

Do you have a second TV connection, maybe in the bedroom, in a outside storage compartment for viewing a TV outside. If you do, there is a TV splitter for the second TV. this may be your problem and the reason for two colors of antenna wire.
You may have to work through a ceiling light or speaker hole for the new coax.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Ok, I just went out and checked.

In my camper (yours may differ):
The orange coax is the cable feed (middle) from the outside.
The Gray coax is the Roof feed (Looking from back - right connector).
The Dark Brown coax the Satellite feed from outside and goes to the top connector on the wall plate.
The Tan coax is the TV2 output (looking from back - left connector)
--- Mine goes to a splitter - one to the L/R and the other the Bedroom.
The front bottom coax is the TV1 output.
--- Not used in my camper for "neatness"
Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #16

Sounds good Lou, I will check this out tonight. Looking @ the attachment I think you may be on to something. Thanks for going to all the trouble of looking @ yours. This is a GREAT site for help from people like yourself.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #17

I have a sandpiper fiver and accidentally found a splitter when I pulled my front, bedroom, roof vent down to install a XM radio antenna. It had a crack on the input side and when I pulled it out to get to it the input side broke off. May be similar since both are made by the same manufacturer.
1SG(Ret) (1987) US Army Aviation

Days/Nights Camped 2016: 34
dogwood36322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #18

After reading about maybe the cable might be bad I had the hubby go up and we hooked a brand new coax and well...... that was a bust too. Still nothing. Looks like I will for sure be taking my Sat dish with me if I want to watch any TV.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Dog View Post
Sounds good Lou, I will check this out tonight. Looking @ the attachment I think you may be on to something. Thanks for going to all the trouble of looking @ yours. This is a GREAT site for help from people like yourself.
A thumbs up "Thank you" would be great. You would be my first!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbait8 View Post
After reading about maybe the cable might be bad I had the hubby go up and we hooked a brand new coax and well...... that was a bust too. Still nothing. Looks like I will for sure be taking my Sat dish with me if I want to watch any TV.
if u hooked the new cable to the input of the inside unit and got nothing, sounds like the ant or inside unit may be bad.
i've never been into one but i'm assuming that amplifier is in the ant and is powered via the coax. if that is the case, the unit inside and bat wing have to be connected to each other to work.

Tags
antenna