Old 09-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #1

Balance your tires!

I just had four new tires installed at Discount tire and wow they took some weights, about 3-4oz a couple and just like 1oz on the other two.
Should be in a for a smooth tow to the campground, heading our in about 2 hours.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #2

here is a pic of one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030693.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	8050  

Old 09-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #3

I'd wonder about the correctness of the tire balancing if it's a discount tire store. To properly balance trailer tires requires a special adapter for the balancing machine. The center hub on a car rim is perfectly centered and easily balance on a standard machine. Trailer rims do not necessarily have a centered hub hole, and require and adapter so that the rim is bolted to the machine using the lug holes so the rim is centered. It maybe that your rims was not centered on the machine properly and thus the heavy weights.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #4

balancing tires

I think that's a good idea to balance your TT tires, if you need to balance passenger car tires, why not trailer tires. How could they balance trailer tires if the rim was not centered, you would think that it's not rocket science and the person doing the job would notice, go with a reputable shop and that shouldn't be a problem.

Dennis
F'ton N.B. Canada
dennis5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #5

The lug nut are centered on rims but some of the rims do not have centered hubs that are 100% centered, thus a center balance trl rim will be unbalanced if balanced on a standard hub centering machine.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #6

I recently had 4 new tires put on my 5'r at NTB.
They claim they never balance trailer tires.
I asked them nicely to balance mine.

Another thing to keep in mind is If you are running LT tires on your camper.
Make sure they replace your valve stems with high pressure valve stems.
NTB (Alvin tx) used regular passenger car VS's on my 5'r tires, and they put one on my truck.
I made it back to Florida, but one failed yesterday and my rear tire went flat. Luckily I have a dually and the tire was not damaged.
Now I'm going to have to pull the 5'r to a local NTB to have all the VS's replaced ....

The high pressure valve stems will have metal in the center (between the cap and wheel) regular ones will not hold 80 psi. According to the local Tire Plus.
US Navy Persian Gulf Vet 1991-1994
cedar creekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #7

I had mine bead-balanced, so eliminated those ugly lead weights. And as my camper has aluminum wheels, it also eliminated the corrosion the weights cause. Plus they will never go out-of-balance, as the beads constantly adjust if the wheels get a bit of mud on them or the tires wear.
And I agree with putting the metal valve stems on. As I added stem-mounted pressure monitors, I had to use metal stems. But always better to spend a few extra dollars for the added safety.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
I had mine bead-balanced, so eliminated those ugly lead weights. And as my camper has aluminum wheels, it also eliminated the corrosion the weights cause. Plus they will never go out-of-balance, as the beads constantly adjust if the wheels get a bit of mud on them or the tires wear.
And I agree with putting the metal valve stems on. As I added stem-mounted pressure monitors, I had to use metal stems. But always better to spend a few extra dollars for the added safety.
If what you mean by bead balancing is a hollow ring filled with lead beads put on the circumference of the wheel rim then this idea came out in the early 1950's, lasted less than 10 years and was discontinued as unreliable and ruined many tires on vehicles. I had not heard this term for years, till now. The tire companies voided all warranty on bead balanced tires. Perhaps with time and engineering the product has been improved. I don't know. Perhaps you could tell us (or me, if I am the only one) about how the bead balancing works.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #9

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
They actually put beads into the inside of the tires, its a packet that they rip open and pore into the tire itself ,then pop the tire on the rim.

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
They actually put beads into the inside of the tires, its a packet that they rip open and pore into the tire itself ,then pop the tire on the rim.
Interesting, never heard of that. I've got to think about that one for awhile, lol.