Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
Yard Dawg

Basic tools

Evening all,

Just purchased a 2019 FR 245BHS. Looking for some advice on basic tools to have with the trailer when traveling.

Also, any quick advice (one liners) for first time RV owner.

Thanks in advance,
Rarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:10 PM   #2

A small basic tool kit should be all you need something like this

https://www.amazon.com/DOWELL-Genera...22-spons&psc=1

I would also add some good rope (25ft or so), duck-tape and maybe some glue.
I myself keep a full tool kit in each car and an emergency kit.
Black-ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:29 PM   #3
Yard Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-ripley View Post

Thank you. I have a couple bug out bags and stuff, just curious about basic tools to keep weight down. Metric or American?
Rarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:44 PM   #4

Also channel lock pliers cone in handy.
Jhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:46 PM   #5

I would add blocks of wood, and a floor jack to your list of needed tools. Also, a 8 foot ladder is very useful.
Ram 2500 / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarden View Post
Thank you. I have a couple bug out bags and stuff, just curious about basic tools to keep weight down. Metric or American?
You will have to check and see what you need, my guess is American, on our A-frame there is a bunch of square screws that needed a special bit.

I forgot zip ties bunch of each size

Old 05-19-2019, 12:08 AM   #7

Quote:
You will have to check and see what you need, my guess is American, on our A-frame there is a bunch of square screws that needed a special bit.

X2 on this. Most of the screws in your camper are going to be the square head. Having a screw driver that accepts these bits is the first thing I added to my tool bag for the camper.

If you have manual stabilizer jacks, one of These is a good idea to put in your drill and save you the wear and tear on the shoulders and back.
https://smile.amazon.com/Magnetic-Tr...gateway&sr=8-6

I have a compartment storage tray similar to this that I keep spare parts and emergency items in such as spare fuses and LED replacements for the lights in the camper, a couple small spools of 14 gauge wire for a 12v repair if needed, some solderless connecting clips, some self tapping screws of a couple sizes.https://smile.amazon.com/Stanley-25-...ateway&sr=8-13

A roll of Gorilla tape, A roll of Aluminum Tape, a roll of electrical tape, some super glue of your favorite brand and a tool bag or bucket with a few of the basics like screw drivers, hammer and a couple lb sledge hammer, my cordless drill and a good pocket knife. A socket set with the sockets you may need to tighten your Weight Distribution mounts on your trailer if they happen to come loose. The last one was a lesson learned. Thankfully, I had good camping neighbors that bailed me out.

You'll add stuff over the course of time but that list will let you McGyver most things and prevent all but the most serious of events from ruining a camping trip till you get home.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:16 AM   #8

We also have a "real" heavy duty milk crate we keep for storage and as a step and stool.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:23 AM   #9

Get familiar with a multimeter and a GFCI tester. Both can be had for relatively little money. Once you have those, watch a few YouTube videos on testing for proper voltage, grounding and reverse polarity.

Do this prior to connecting to any campsite pedestals. It could save your trailer a fried electrical system.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:00 AM   #10

New too

I’m new too, but will share some things I think are helpful.

I divide tools into categories of regular usage and emergency repairs.

Regular usage are tools for the WD hitch, wrenches, gloves, grease, extra pins that you use regularly. Rubber gloves and face mask for dumping tanks. A knife, fuse puller, Rachet set, needle nose plyers, vice grips, adjustable screwdriver for all the odd screws on your TT.

Emergency repairs tools for us are just basic tools, zip ties, eternabond, hose tape and most importantly our AAA card with full RV coverage. You may want a jack and jack stands to change a tire yourself if you don’t want to use AAA.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:12 AM   #11

When we got ours I just went to Harbor Freight and bought a tool set for about $30 that had all your basic sockets/wrenches/tips for screwdrivers/crescent etc. I've since added a roll of teflon tape and large socket for the anode on the water heater. Simple, not very expensive and easy to keep in the case for storage. Also a rubber mallet for tent stakes if you use them for anything. Look for coupons if you go to harbor freight, they're easy to find.

I agree with the above jack recommendation as well. Still on my list luckily haven't needed it. And you might consider a portable air compressor or 4 in 1. I've used it to top off the tires and it's worked well so far. Which brings me to also recommending a tire gauge.

https://www.harborfreight.com/130-pc...ase-63248.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-1...air+compressor
lownote2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #12

Quote:

That kit needs a bigger hammer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=8oQ37iZ506c
Old 05-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #13

another vote for a square screw bit and a multimeter. a couple of rolls of electrical tape can be used for all kinds of things that are non electrical. a socket for the water heater anode and teflon tape is nice. i'd add wood glue and wood tooth picks or matchsticks for holding screws that are loose in wood. plus a small bottle of locktite to hold screws in metal. a small jar or container to put all the loose screws into. find a hardware store that allows you to purchase screws individually and each time you need a new size by a couple extra and put them into the jar so you will have them in the future. perhaps a couple of spare garden hose washers.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #14
clr

Also you will need tools, in case you have to change a tire such as a bottle jack, and sockets that will fit your lug nuts.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #15

My set is a little different. I have found over the years what to carry and what not to carry.

My immediate tools that I have access to are; tire changing tools such as Jacks, Lug nut wrenches, breaker bar for lug nuts and a torque wrench. I then have a multi-meter, IFR heat gun, and a tire air pressure gauge rated for 125 PSI. These are in my tow vehicle which I can access when ever I need them.

Now in the front bay of my trailer I have my tool box, which includes several square drive (NO.1& N0.2) of various lengths. There are also a couple of Philips drivers also and one straight blade screw driver. Electrical tools such as crimpers and wire strippers, plus tester. I also carry in the tool box a complete set of small open end and box end wrenches in SAE and Metric nut sizes. I have never found anything larger than 1-1/4 or 32 MM in size on a trailer. Also included is a small torpedo level and 25' tape measure, A rubber mallet 16OZ size and an a 16OZ steel hammer. Plus adjustable slip channel locks and pliers, I also carry two adjustable open wrenches 8" and 14" long.

I than have two parts containers, several different styles of tape, electrical connectors, some small adjustable screw clamps for hoses and various screws and nut fasteners. I store a complete set of fuses that are required for my trailer both AC/DC styles. I also have sloid strand 14 thru 18 gage wire. These are on small spools which holds about 25' of wire.

I am also thinking of starting to carry PEX plumbing supplies and tools for my trailer since this has become the industry standard.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarden View Post
Evening all,

Just purchased a 2019 FR 245BHS. Looking for some advice on basic tools to have with the trailer when traveling.

Also, any quick advice (one liners) for first time RV owner.

Thanks in advance,

Although not tools, this thread may help out on some other things since you stated you were a first time RV owner.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #17

One of the most important items is a multimeter. I suggest a few ratchet straps(like Sams sells if you have one...like the 4 pack). These are useful in many ways. I carry an assortment of PEX fittings and crimper and some tube in 1/2”. I suggest a 12-15” adjustable wrench, a few hose clamps #4 to 32(you can daisy chain if needed), a tire plugging kit and a 12v compressor(doesn’t have to be expensive), tire pressure gauge, a break over and socket to fit lug nuts...plus anything you feel is needed+ the stuff already mentioned
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #18

Basic tools

Ooohhh. I carry a mechanics mat to lay on...ants and wet/hot ground. Something like this... and some cotton rags.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	204948

Ps: about 2/3s of the stuff I carry is for someone else in need.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
My set is a little different. I have found over the years what to carry and what not to carry.

My immediate tools that I have access to are; tire changing tools such as Jacks, Lug nut wrenches, breaker bar for lug nuts and a torque wrench. I then have a multi-meter, IFR heat gun, and a tire air pressure gauge rated for 125 PSI. These are in my tow vehicle which I can access when ever I need them.

Now in the front bay of my trailer I have my tool box, which includes several square drive (NO.1& N0.2) of various lengths. There are also a couple of Philips drivers also and one straight blade screw driver. Electrical tools such as crimpers and wire strippers, plus tester. I also carry in the tool box a complete set of small open end and box end wrenches in SAE and Metric nut sizes. I have never found anything larger than 1-1/4 or 32 MM in size on a trailer. Also included is a small torpedo level and 25' tape measure, A rubber mallet 16OZ size and an a 16OZ steel hammer. Plus adjustable slip channel locks and pliers, I also carry two adjustable open wrenches 8" and 14" long.

I than have two parts containers, several different styles of tape, electrical connectors, some small adjustable screw clamps for hoses and various screws and nut fasteners. I store a complete set of fuses that are required for my trailer both AC/DC styles. I also have sloid strand 14 thru 18 gage wire. These are on small spools which holds about 25' of wire.

I am also thinking of starting to carry PEX plumbing supplies and tools for my trailer since this has become the industry standard.

Lol. Ditto. You beat me to some of this.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post

I thought about carrying this much, but ultimately decided 1) I don’t want to spend my camping time doing repairs and 2) I don’t want to tow a garage full of tools and parts everywhere I go.

My style is minimal to get me through till I can get back. I am not advocating one style over the other, I’m just trying to help the OP think about this topic.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote