Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #1

Batteries not charging when engine running

Our dealer told us when we picked up our 2019 Sunseeker, that the batteries were not charging when the engine is running, and they want to replace the converter under warranty. The batteries charge fine from shore power or onboard generator. Is replacing the converter necessary or might it be as simple as a relay or the like. The dealer missed quite a few issues on PDI, so i'd rather not take it back to them. Thank you
nvallerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:03 PM   #2

The convertor has nothing to do with the coach batteries not charging while the engine is running. If the coach batteries are being charged while plugged in or with the generator running, your convertor is working.

Which chassis and model is your 2019 Sunseeker? It may or may not have the battery interconnect feature. Our 2011 Sunseeker model 3100 has the interconnect feature, as do all Forest River Class C's in that time frame.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #3

House Batteries not charging

The model is a 2500TS on a E450 chassis. It does have a momentary switch on the driver seat that clicks the high current solenoid in the converter box for emergency start on house battery. Should this solenoid also kick on when the engine is on to feed back to house batteries. If so maybe the circuit is not seeing engine on. The battery control center is made by Precision Circuits Inc. model #00-10033-701A
nvallerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:32 PM   #4

Another thing I found about the Precision Circuit Battery Isolation Manager in the step well is that if the engine battery is low, the BIM will direct all amperage to the engine battery. I have left home in LA and driven to Yosemite 6 hours away and found my house batteries down tp 90%. Also, the BIM will only allow the alternator to charge the house batteries for 2 hours and then go back to charging the engine battery. Check out Precision Circuits website and explanation. There may be nothing wrong but a low charged engine battery. Put a charger on the engine battery and test after fully charged.
http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...anual-RevA.pdf

Hope this helps.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Another thing I found about the Precision Circuit Battery Isolation Manager in the step well is that if the engine battery is low, the BIM will direct all amperage to the engine battery. I have left home in LA and driven to Yosemite 6 hours away and found my house batteries down tp 90%. Also, the BIM will only allow the alternator to charge the house batteries for 2 hours and then go back to charging the engine battery. Check out Precision Circuits website and explanation. There may be nothing wrong but a low charged engine battery. Put a charger on the engine battery and test after fully charged.
http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...anual-RevA.pdf

Hope this helps.
This looks more current from Precision Circuits. The one I posted earlier is from 2016. http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...ger-Rev7-1.pdf
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #6

our prism was doing same thing...lots of looking and testing, it was a fuse in the main battery compartment attached to the chassis battery and yes they told us battery only charges from shore or generator. never had a motorhome that driving didnt charge the house battery.
mickanddon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #7

I would definitely check all the FORD fuess !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #8

I have a 2500TS on a Chevy chassis (2014) and had the same problem. A person at precision circuits had me disconnect the tan wire from the jump start switch in the battery control center. Turns out there was a short to ground in the switch and disconnecting it made let the battery charge from the engine normally. Only the emergency start switch does not work now. One of these days I will track it down.
This was discovered after we got back from our trip to Alaska were the problem was discovered. To save our trip, I made a short jumper out of battery cable and jumped the engine and chassis battery underneath the side door whenever we drive anywhere and disconnected when we camped so we could finish the trip. It is awesome there.
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging