Old 12-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #11

To check the trailer's battery charging system disconnect the shore power plug. Then disconnect the battery cables from the battery. Next connect a volt meter to the battery cables and then plug in the shore power plug. The volt meter should read at least 13.5 volts at the battery cables. If so then the charging system should be good.

2010 Rockwood Windjammer 2609W
Reese dual cam sway control
2002 Chevy Express 1500 LT
Family of 4 and WeBJammin'
WeBJammin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #12

I agree however, when plugged into shore power and if converter is reading why doesn't it show 13VDC?

Old 12-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
I agree however, when plugged into shore power and if converter is reading why doesn't it show 13VDC?

Check the fuse for the battery charger in the converter panel AFTER you replace the battery. With a dead cell in your old battery, the long, full draw on the charging circuit may have blown the fuse. IMO, if it did blow the fuse, that would be good! There was something wrong and the fuse blew to protect the charger/ converter. That's what it is there for.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #14

To find out if the converter is producing d.c. electricity, disconnect the shore power plug and then disconnect the battery cables. then reconnect the shore power plug. Next try to turn on ceiling lights(they use the 12 volts d.c. from the converter). If the lights come on the converter is working and your trouble is in the cables going from the converter to the battery. If the lights do not come on either you PROBABLY have no power going to the converter (possibly a bad circuit breaker, try turning it off and back on again) or a bad converter which will need to be repaired or replaced. I had a converter go bad while camping once and I am pretty sure that it was due to a voltage spike at the camp ground. Luckily I was able to repair it myself. Afterwards I purchased a surge protector and have not had any trouble since.

2010 Rockwood Windjammer 2609W
Reese dual cam sway control
2002 Chevy Express 1500 LT
Family of 4 and WeBJammin'
WeBJammin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
I've charged the battery, read 12VDC. Installed, hooked up cables and the batt dropped to 10VDC. Hooked up shore pwr. and still reads 10VDC. It's been hooked up now several days with no draw on it, still reads 10VDC.
Reading 12 volts on a charged battery does not mean the battery is "good." With no load, you should be reading over 13 volts when it is fresh off the charger. As SOON as you put a load on it it should start dropping.

However it should never drop lower than 12.8 or 9 until it is used for a while. If it drops quickly to 11 or so you have a bad battery.

Each cell in a 12 volt Lead Acid battery produces approximately 1.5 volts.
One cracked plate will cause the problem you are having (as well as a converter). Plates crack for a lot of reasons including vibrations from road travel and freezing (being discharged will allow the water to freeze since the acid that would have protected the water is plated onto the battery plates as sulfate).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, inverter