Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
HHandTH

Battery constantly reconditioning

I have 2 6 volt deep cycle batteries that I just bought in August. Every time I put my batteries on a charger the charger goes into battery reconditioning mode. I thought this was done when the batteries do not discharge at the same rate. Last time it took 6 hours until the charger finished reconditioning and started charging, this time it has been in reconditioning mode for 12+ hours.

Any ideas what I can do other than call up the dealer and return them?
HorstandTonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Give us the make and model of the batteries?
The make and model of the charger you're using?

Do you know the standing voltage of the batteries before you start charging them?
Old 10-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
HHandTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Give us the make and model of the batteries?
The make and model of the charger you're using?

Do you know the standing voltage of the batteries before you start charging them?

Each battery is putting out 6.3 volts when tested separately. hooked together they are currently putting out 12.6

They are interstate gc2 225amp hour deep cycle. charger is everstart smart charger.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #4

I suspect the inexpensive low capacity Walmart-type battery charger is not what you need. A charger with 20% capacity of the battery is recommended. This would be at least 45 amps for your 225 amp hour capacity.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #5
HHandTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I suspect the inexpensive low capacity Walmart-type battery charger is not what you need. A charger with 20% capacity of the battery is recommended. This would be at least 45 amps for your 225 amp hour capacity.

-- Chuck
would't lower amps just require a longer charge cycle? It doesn't explain why the batteries go into "reconditioning mode". If I put them on the trailer, they provide zero battery power until they are on shore power for hours. The charger I have goes up to 15 amp output.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
Site Team

I think you have a defective charger. That charger should charge those batteries from the state you show they're in without going into reconditioning mode.

Tags
battery