Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #1

Bed Collapse on Salem Cruise Lite

I have a 2016 262BHXL that we purchased in June and have enjoyed I think 4 weekends since. Last night when I laid down the bed over the pass through storage collapsed on my side about 2" I'm just curious if anyone else has had this problem. I've never paid attention to how it was built but after looking at it it makes me angry. I didn't join this forum til after I purchased this one and I'm just hoping that i don't have the problems a lot of other people are having. This kind of makes me insecure on my investment. I can and will fix the bed. I considered letting the dealer fix it but they will just put it back like it was which is wrong. I'm attaching a few pics that I took last night and I'm going to let them know about but I will be fixing it myself. Let me know what you think!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken bed 1.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	86623   Click image for larger version

Name:	broken bed 2.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	86624   Click image for larger version

Name:	broken bed 3.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	86625   Click image for larger version

Name:	broken bed 4.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	453.6 KB
ID:	86626   Click image for larger version

Name:	broken bed 5.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	559.2 KB
ID:	86627  

Old 08-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Carknocker Family

Ours was built the same way. Makes you wonder how you made it through the first nights without falling in. Fixed ours myself.
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:02 AM   #3

My trailer did the same thing.... I'll try to find my thread.
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:04 AM   #4

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=81628
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandJ View Post
Very nice work you did there!! I just got through with bracing mine up.. I wished I would have seen this before. I like the angle iron idea. Mine is the same concept just all out of wood. And also the front end is round so I went a step further and added kickers to the front end since I couldn't get the support close to the front wall without drilling through the outside.. I added a cross rail support that also serves as a support to hold the bed up if need be.. They have a poor design for the bed support. I did not find one screw or nail supporting the front of the bed. Thanks for your reply..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed fix 1.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	86733   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed fix 2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	86734   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed fix 3.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	86735   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed fix 4.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	86736   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed fix 5.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	86737  

Old 08-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #6

Location: West, Texas (the town, not the western part of the state)
Yikes! Glad you didn't get splinters.

We bought the Salem Cruiser Lite 174BH which has the bench that pulls out into a bed (over the fresh water tank) and we did notice that it was built pretty shabby. Some of the demos we looked at had the screws pulled out, snaps broken, etc.

Because we liked the rest of the little trailer we bought it knowing that I'll have to rebuild it soon or later so I'm glad to follow this thread. We do leave it pulled out all the time so I'm not constantly moving it around but I know it'll go sooner or later and will incorporate your ideas here ;-)
Old 08-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

We had lift cylinders installed on ours so that the bed will rise and allow access without straining. It has not collapsed as of yet. Second season almost over. There were A LOT of quality issues. 1. The shower sprayer connection on the tub. The sprayer was not even close to being tight, causing a flood that ran all the way to the bunk in the front. This flood could easily have caused a lot of damage.
2. The tub access panel does not cover the hole in the side wall of the tub. The hole was cut too large. A picture can be provided. This is gap is over a 1/2 inch and is very long. This is just sloppy.
3. The shower curtain track is not mounted close to the shower head. Water can easily run out. This could be corrected in other units.
4. Had to remount both closet rods next to the bed. Clothes could not be hung because the rods were too close to the door.
5. Minor issue ; drain plug in the shower broken in half.
6. The dinette table is too close to the window which does not allow the shade to close all the way. This could be corrected in other units.
7. The thermostat is located directly above two heat ducts! Temperatures in the main living area are four degrees cooler when the control calls to shut down the heat.
8. The light over the dinette is mounted crooked. Can more care be taken to mount the light to parallel the wall?
9. Our unit does not have the outside kitchen and bumper mounted grill. We don't expect that a extra door be mounted on the outside where the kitchen would be but an entire large storage space, under the double lower bunk goes un-utilized! How about putting a hole in the board under the bunk? As the dinette seat storage works so can the back bunk!!! 10. The contact paper above the sink and stove WILL peel off. Just wait for it.
Bushbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kralspace View Post
Yikes! Glad you didn't get splinters.

We bought the Salem Cruiser Lite 174BH which has the bench that pulls out into a bed (over the fresh water tank) and we did notice that it was built pretty shabby. Some of the demos we looked at had the screws pulled out, snaps broken, etc.

Because we liked the rest of the little trailer we bought it knowing that I'll have to rebuild it soon or later so I'm glad to follow this thread. We do leave it pulled out all the time so I'm not constantly moving it around but I know it'll go sooner or later and will incorporate your ideas here ;-)
Yea splinters would have been bad!! This is my first real problem with the camper.. I expect problems because of what it is but this should not happen.. Our spirits aren't broken though ... Easy fix and only a few $ so we are good. Just want to put it out there for the next person.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbunch View Post
We had lift cylinders installed on ours so that the bed will rise and allow access without straining. It has not collapsed as of yet. Second season almost over. There were A LOT of quality issues. 1. The shower sprayer connection on the tub. The sprayer was not even close to being tight, causing a flood that ran all the way to the bunk in the front. This flood could easily have caused a lot of damage.
2. The tub access panel does not cover the hole in the side wall of the tub. The hole was cut too large. A picture can be provided. This is gap is over a 1/2 inch and is very long. This is just sloppy.
3. The shower curtain track is not mounted close to the shower head. Water can easily run out. This could be corrected in other units.
4. Had to remount both closet rods next to the bed. Clothes could not be hung because the rods were too close to the door.
5. Minor issue ; drain plug in the shower broken in half.
6. The dinette table is too close to the window which does not allow the shade to close all the way. This could be corrected in other units.
7. The thermostat is located directly above two heat ducts! Temperatures in the main living area are four degrees cooler when the control calls to shut down the heat.
8. The light over the dinette is mounted crooked. Can more care be taken to mount the light to parallel the wall?
9. Our unit does not have the outside kitchen and bumper mounted grill. We don't expect that a extra door be mounted on the outside where the kitchen would be but an entire large storage space, under the double lower bunk goes un-utilized! How about putting a hole in the board under the bunk? As the dinette seat storage works so can the back bunk!!! 10. The contact paper above the sink and stove WILL peel off. Just wait for it.
Thanks for the heads up!! I'm just hoping for the best..
Old 08-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #10

I have a Salem CruiseLite 241QBXL. My bed is nailed shut. I'm told the fresh water tank is located there. It would be nice to be able to lift it - especially when I'm dry camping and would like to see how much is left in the tank. I'll have to keep an eye on whether there are any changes after reading this - especially as I'm not a lightweight.
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #11

Nailed Shut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbuckely View Post
I have a Salem CruiseLite 241QBXL. My bed is nailed shut. I'm told the fresh water tank is located there. It would be nice to be able to lift it - especially when I'm dry camping and would like to see how much is left in the tank. I'll have to keep an eye on whether there are any changes after reading this - especially as I'm not a lightweight.
We own a Salem CruiseLite and yes, our bed board was also nailed shut with the freshwater tank located below. I had to remove the drywall screws to get to ours so we could install an actuater tank next to the pump. Ours hasn't collapsed yet, but I attend to rebuild it and extend the plywood sheet out to where the cheap mattress doesn't sag at the foot. We put a topper pad on top and is much more comfortable.

As having one for over a year now, the next thing you CruiseLite owners will experience is the collapse of your dinnette benches. They are built as bad and as cheap as the bed frame. We will remove them this winter and replace with free standing chairs and table. Other than that, we haven't had too many more problems since the toilet paper holder fell off the wall from the weight of the toilet paper!!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #12

Location: West, Texas (the town, not the western part of the state)
Thanks for the heads up, yes, I can see the dinette benches being the next to go. The toilet paper holder had fallen off the wall during our first drive. With nothing on it.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #13

One other thing we had to fix at the dealer was the back axle brakes. They were not hooked up, so maybe one other thing to check if you're having trouble with the brake adjustment from your controller.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:03 PM   #14

It looks like the people that built our last trailer work at FR now. The bed board was so thin we rolled to the center when we slept. We opened the bed room slide during one trip and the slide moved and the bed stayed against the dresser. The head of the bed at the hinge had ripped out of the wall and the gas struts just slide the whole bed along the frame
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #15

2015 qbxl

We have a 2015 241qbxl with fresh water tank under the bed. First issue is tank spills all the water out of over flow when towing to camp site so when you get to where your going you are out of water then can not fill it because you have to fill off of a garden hose pressure style set up! What a terrible design. Anyone else have this issue? I have been waiting for months for it to be fixed by the dealer but they don't seem to care.
As for the plywood screwed down just take them out and put hinges on the front side then you can get to it anytime, we have to do this because I have to hook a hose to the water pump and plum to 5 gallon buckets of water so we have water while dry camping.. Real convienant for a brand new camper..
Pacampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #16

If the campers a rockin ! Don't come knockin!

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacampers View Post
We have a 2015 241qbxl with fresh water tank under the bed. First issue is tank spills all the water out of over flow when towing to camp site so when you get to where your going you are out of water then can not fill it because you have to fill off of a garden hose pressure style set up!
I also have a 2015 QBXL and I'm not quite sure what you are referring to here. I don't like to haul with any more weight than I need so I don't usually fill the fresh water tank until I get to the campground when I'm dry camping. I haven't had any problems filling the tank when I get there. Now, I'm curious as to the problems you are having.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #18

If we go camping and I have no way to get water when I get to my destination like a race track where there is 0 water hook up I have to fill it before I leave our house. By the time I get to the destination my water has all been pushed out of the over flow! Now since the only way to add water is with a hose hooked up and pressured I have 0 way to add any water to the tank
Old 09-13-2015, 09:41 PM   #19

Thanks for the clarification. A friend of mine built a tank he puts in the back of his van for such occasions - like when we are at Oshkosh for the airshow. He can make the run to get water and then bring it back and fill our tanks.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #20

Ya it would be nice if you could just poor 5 gallon bucks of water in it but mine has just a hose hook up for adding water and then a city water hook up point. Doesn't make sense to me why you can't just pour water in!

Tags
bed, salem