Bench Back Repair Made...
On our last trip, I noted that the panel on the back of the exposed bench seat was working loose. It's right along side the entry door, and several times during the trip we caught loose clothes on one or more nails sticking out, so I hammered the nails back in and made a note to fix it more permenantly when I returned home.
Tonight I took a better look at it, to fix it, and I was very surprised to see just how poorly it wa assembled. The framework for the bench is made of welded square aluminum tubing for rigidity, however, the back piece is only a single horizantal with an upright on each side, so it has some flex. What gives it rigidity is the attachment of the panels on either side.... that is until they come loose. And the rason that they come loose is that they have a thin adhesive (which didn't even feel tacky), and then they attached the panels with a wire brad driven into the aluminum tube. When I was "renailing" the nails, I was actually just pushing them back ito the hole in the aluminum, likely enlarging the hole so that it loosened quicker the next time.
So for my "fix", I pulled all of the nail brads out, and reattached the panels with some good construction adhesive. I then used decorative head self-tapping screws to replace the brads.
About $10 wort of materials, and it's better than new!
So in case your bench seat starts to come apart, it's because you can't drive nail brads into aluminum tubing, and expect them to hold!
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter