Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2015, 10:44 PM   #1

Bent axle?!??!!?

Anyone see this?? I had a tire fail and was removing them to replace with new ones. Of course I jacked up the trailer on the frame and never the axle. The funny thing is now I have rub marks on the inside edge of the TT on the left side wheel well area. The axle seems to be bent in the upward position and should cause the top of the wheel to bow outboard??? I always try to make sure we are not overweight, (the TT anyways!!). Any thoughts?? What about the axle bend?? Think it is safe to tow??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axle1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	87041   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire 1 rub mark.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	87042  
2016 SILVERADO 2500HD 6.6 Duramax
2012 280BH Casscade
sammonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:45 PM   #2

other pics

Here are the other pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rub mark1.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	87043   Click image for larger version

Name:	axle2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	87044  
2012 280BH Casscade
Old 08-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #3

ive seen other trailers with a bend. ill have to check mine. as for the rub marks id check to see if you axle isnt centered properly on your leaf springs
Old 08-26-2015, 10:51 PM   #4

your axle should have a bend up ward or "camber" my understanding is that when you load the trailer that helps take the weight. I had a Komfort TT that the tires were wearing funny on the inside,took it to Les Schwab and they said the axles lost the camber. When i looked at the old axles compared to the new ones it was very obvious, old ones were flat across and the new had quite a bit of camber in them.
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:57 PM   #5

Given that the axle has an upward bend shouldn't that put the top of the tyre further away from the frame where it is rubbing rather than closer?
My axles have an upward bend also but they seem to straighten with load in the tyres.
Samaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #6

Also i am wondering if the replacement wheel has a different off set and that is why it is now rubbing, unless it is the same wheel then i dont know. doubt that the axle has shifted as the springs are bolted to the mounts welded to the frame....
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #7
Commercial Member

If you want to file a complaint about defective axles you will need to be able to provide actual measured axle loading to confirm you are not overloaded.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:59 PM   #8

If there is no clearance on the opposing side as well I think your wheel offset is incorrect.
Samaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:14 PM   #9

Appears to be normal to me. I have several different types of trailers. Every trailer axle I own is shaped like the one in your pictures.

Carry on....
Old 08-26-2015, 11:31 PM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

From my axle flip thread..

Not normal but what it is.. And yes the axle is supposed to have an natural upward bend in it.

EDIT: Rubbing on ours is caused by any severe off camber situation.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:21 AM   #11

Is that on the same side that you had the failed tire on?
If so maybe the flat tire caused a redistribution of weight and you got the rub.
I would also think as mentioned before that the bend in your axle would make the tire flare out not in.
My axles are square tube but have a dimple in the middle for camber.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:22 AM   #12

Are any of the other tires hitting the body? something is loose, bent, broken, etc for that to happen. see if that happens when turning, right or left, get under and look to see whats happening.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:06 AM   #13

Might check the triangle piece cannot think of the name for it. It where the two leaf springs are attached to in the third pic.

Just helped a person. One broke just before getting to CG. We took the other one off. The bolt hole that goes to the frame was slotted (wore) over two inches. It was cause the other to fail. Try to get a pic if he still has the parts. Did it last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:10 AM   #14

Could not see the wear as it was inside the mounting bracket. If trailer was blocked up and then could raise and lower the axles. His is a 90's model. I told I would replace the bolts and shackles and repack bearings for the piece of mind and that's when he found the other bad shackle.

arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:12 AM   #15
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Might check the triangle piece cannot think of the name for it. It where the two leaf springs are attached to in the third pic.

Just helped a person. One broke just before getting to CG. We took the other one off. The bolt hole that goes to the frame was slotted (wore) over two inches. It was cause the other to fail. Try to get a pic if he still has the parts. Did it last month.

Equalizer is its name

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #16
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We've had this happen on our 18 ft Ponderosa Stock Trailer and had to have the axle replaced. It wore out 2 tires before I realized the axle was the culprit. I believe in my case, it was running over / rubbing against some curb like a fuel island or curb on a too tight turn.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammonilla View Post
Anyone see this?? I had a tire fail and was removing them to replace with new ones. Of course I jacked up the trailer on the frame and never the axle. The funny thing is now I have rub marks on the inside edge of the TT on the left side wheel well area. The axle seems to be bent in the upward position and should cause the top of the wheel to bow outboard??? I always try to make sure we are not overweight, (the TT anyways!!). Any thoughts?? What about the axle bend?? Think it is safe to tow??
Your axle looks normal. Axles come pre-loaded with a certain amount of camber built in and they arch upwards. And, as was mentioned it helps them (under loading) to remain straight.

You really didn't define which side the tire failed? If the tire failed on the right side, it could have left the axle drop enough (on the right side) that it created clearance issues between the tire and wheel-well on the left side and caused it to rub the left side. When the tire went flat it would have allowed the axle to drop on that side and angle down to the extent the clearance from the pre-set camber then wouldn't matter.

I would think once you get a new tire and have it mounted to the axle, all will be fine again as far as clearance issues. Only you can decide if the rubbing on the tire in the picture has done enough damage to be safe?

Now... if the tire that failed was on the left side AND the rubbing is on the left side, I suspect something is out of align. Possibly the rubbing caused the tire to fail?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Equalizer is its name
Or walking beam.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #19

Thanks for all of the input. Camber adjustment make compleate sence to me and I will forget about the slight bend for now. I have not changed the wheels and they are a zero offset rims. The rub marks on NOT on the side of the tire failure and the tire look to have the same clearance from side to side. Just one side rubbing. It could have just been a one time contact on a rought road.
2012 280BH Casscade
Old 08-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A jackknife situation (when backing into site on blacktop) could possibly make the tire come in contact with the inside.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, bent