Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #1

Bent Electric Stabilizer

Need thoughts. I apparently overloaded my electric rear stabilizer as I was leveling my trailer on concrete with gradient. I heard it buckle. It's bent forward towards wheel axel about 3-4". I feel boneheaded. Oh well. No time to mope.

Unable to retract electronically though electric motor tries. Bought a 15' strap ratchet to try to pull it back straight so it at least will go up. Trying that soon. Waiting for all to finish breakfast and leave so I can attempt.

If that doesn't work, other thoughts? Can't tow it while down. Anything to be aware of or tricks I should know before I kill myself?

Thanks.
donhillphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #2

Which stabilizers do you have? With it being bent that much you may not be able to even get it up with the strap. If not you may have to unhook the wiring and then take the stabilzer completely off to get home. My electric stabilizers are just screwed to the frame with self tapping screws, they can easily be taken off. Just a thought if you cant get it strapped up.
keller9431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keller9431 View Post
Which stabilizers do you have? With it being bent that much you may not be able to even get it up with the strap. If not you may have to unhook the wiring and then take the stabilzer completely off to get home. My electric stabilizers are just screwed to the frame with self tapping screws, they can easily be taken off. Just a thought if you cant get it strapped up.
Thanks. Got it done. Was able to strap stabilizer to my truck tow hooks and ratchet it straight. From there, the legs went up. It's bent good. But at least it's up so I can get it replaced or fixed. That's my main goal.

So I need to find two angle bar replacements. Not sure of brand. Will have to look. If can't get those, then need to replace whole thing. Encouraged it now moves up and down. Of course, I'm keeping them up until repaired for now. If I delay repair, I'll just buy mobile jacks for the back until ready.

I feel like man! Argh!!!
Old 08-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhillphoto View Post
Thanks. Got it done. Was able to strap stabilizer to my truck tow hooks and ratchet it straight. From there, the legs went up. It's bent good. But at least it's up so I can get it replaced or fixed. That's my main goal.

So I need to find two angle bar replacements. Not sure of brand. Will have to look. If can't get those, then need to replace whole thing. Encouraged it now moves up and down. Of course, I'm keeping them up until repaired for now. If I delay repair, I'll just buy mobile jacks for the back until ready.

I feel like man! Argh!!!
They can be removed and straightened. While you have them off, you need to reinforce them with 2-1/2" channel welded to the bottom side of the legs. Here is what I did to mine after hearing of others bending theirs. I also replaced the strap supports with 3/4" black pipe and heated the ends and flattened them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stab Leg reinforcments ready to trim.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	85146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stab Leg reinforcments.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	85147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear stabilizer pad.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	85148   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01630.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	85149   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01631.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	85150  

Old 08-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #5

Were you trying to use them to level ???

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Were you trying to use them to level ???

Like a fool, yes. Learned from that!
Old 08-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
They can be removed and straightened. While you have them off, you need to reinforce them with 2-1/2" channel welded to the bottom side of the legs. Here is what I did to mine after hearing of others bending theirs. I also replaced the strap supports with 3/4" black pipe and heated the ends and flattened them.
Thanks. Angle brackets seemed too bent so worried about weak spot despite ability to hammer back into straightness. Will certainly look to reinforce.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhillphoto View Post
Like a fool, yes. Learned from that!
We have all had to learn from our mistakes.......... Me probably more than most.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent, electric