Old 07-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #1

Best method to seal hole around camera cable

I want to install a backup camera on my fiberglass TT and am looking for recommendations on the best method to seal the hole around the camera's cable. The hole will need to be 1/2" to allow the connector through, but the cable itself is only 3/16". Is simply filling the hole with silicone adhesive or marine sealant sufficient? Would cutting a grommet so that it fits around the cable and then sealing be better? Is there a better method?

Old 07-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #2

I would go with the grommet, then cover the heck out of it with Dicor. I wouldn’t use silicone.

Bruce

nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:46 AM   #3

Any holes I made in mine, I used Dicor to seal them.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #4

Dicor?

Okay, that's two votes for Dicor. I am not familiar with the product, so I looked it up. There appear to be various types. Which type do you guys recommend?
Old 07-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #5

I use self leveling with making a small opening in the end. I use it like a glue first then over screw heads and around the edges. Window awning brackets, fresh water opening with a door rather then what came on it, city water inlet with built in pressure regulator, solar panels on the roof and 2 wall mounts for Sat. coax wire to connect to dish boxes.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #6

Self-leveling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I use self leveling with making a small opening in the end. I use it like a glue first then over screw heads and around the edges. Window awning brackets, fresh water opening with a door rather then what came on it, city water inlet with built in pressure regulator, solar panels on the roof and 2 wall mounts for Sat. coax wire to connect to dish boxes.
Dicor Self-leveling (lap sealant) is for horizontal surfaces like roof openings. It flows before it sets.

The Dicor non-sag (for vertical surfaces) types would probably be better for this application (assuming the cable enters through the rear (vertical) wall.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
PPST Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Dicor Self-leveling (lap sealant) is for horizontal surfaces like roof openings. It flows before it sets.

The Dicor non-sag (for vertical surfaces) types would probably be better for this application (assuming the cable enters through the rear (vertical) wall.

Larry
Yup....what Larry said.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
RiderBloke

I am using Lexel for that sort of sealing and around windows etc. I like it better than Dicor so far.
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:

Larry
Small hole in the end and it works just fine!
Old 07-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #10

I'd probably use butyl tape and stuff it in to tightly seal. The thing I like about using butyl is that it is reversible if necessary, and it stays flexible to keep things sealed even if there is a little movement or flex.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #11

I agree with the "Grommet" and then a good sealant.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #12

Tacky forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_reaves View Post
I'd probably use butyl tape and stuff it in to tightly seal. The thing I like about using butyl is that it is reversible if necessary, and it stays flexible to keep things sealed even if there is a little movement or flex.
Yes, butyl tape stays tacky forever. It's a dirt-catcher. After a couple of months it would be a dirt-ball. When the pros use butyl tape, e.g., behind an outlet cover, range-hood, furnace vent, marker light, rain gutter, etc., they always put a narrow bead of non-sag Dicor around the tacky butyl edge, to cover it.

Larry
Old 07-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #13

The OP'er hasn't said, where are you putting the hole? Roof or rear wall? If rear wall anyway to come out behind and below a clearance light? A bit more info might help us to help you.
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows4 View Post
The OP'er hasn't said, where are you putting the hole? Roof or rear wall? If rear wall anyway to come out behind and below a clearance light? A bit more info might help us to help you.
I am putting the camera on the rear wall. I plan to tie into the center running light but I don't know yet if it will be above or below the light. That will depend on whether there is a structural support next to the light. I think I would prefer to have it below the light since I have seen where some people have complained about the light interfering with night vision.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #15

Before you go too far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe4515 View Post
I am putting the camera on the rear wall. I plan to tie into the center running light but I don't know yet if it will be above or below the light. That will depend on whether there is a structural support next to the light. I think I would prefer to have it below the light since I have seen where some people have complained about the light interfering with night vision.
Before you go too far, look around, at the camera manufacturer's website and the marker light websites. Others have written about mounting plates that fit under the center marker light and have an escape for the camera cable. You may find a bracket that makes for a more elegant solution.

Larry
Old 07-16-2019, 02:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Before you go too far, look around, at the camera manufacturer's website and the marker light websites. Others have written about mounting plates that fit under the center marker light and have an escape for the camera cable. You may find a bracket that makes for a more elegant solution.

Larry
Excellent point. Have you decided on a camera yet? I highly recommend the Haloview 7180 https://www.haloview.com/
Old 07-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #17

Camera installation

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I have been a little busy, and it has been raining a lot, so I haven't done the installation yet but I have purchased a camera (Xeroxclub which I caught on sale) and the Dicor sealant. I will also look around for a grommet. I will update when installation is complete.

Tags
cable, seal