Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
bmg

Black Roof

I have a 2006 Surveyor. I've cleaned and treated the roof twice a year, usually spring and fall with Dicor UV Roof Protectorate . Over the years the roof first chalked and then gradually has completely turned black except for a couple of places where the antennas lay down flat. There are no cracks, leaks or bubbles, just the unsightly black.

I've talked to a couple of RV repair companies and they said after 10 years it should be replaced and the the black indicates that I don't have UV protection. I'm not sure what good UV protection would do in the first place especially since the Dicor treatment is supposed to provide UV protection.

So do I need replacement, based solely on the black coloration? Or am I ok for few years until have an obvious need to replace? Thanks for any feedback.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #2

I would buy something like kool seal and put it on. Did it to my previous camper. It did like you said. Think I put it on with a roller. Know I got 4 to 5 years out of it before trading it in.
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:04 AM   #3

Why can't you color it with some paints?
Merln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #4

The black indicates sun damage? That's a new one to me. Ours is in the NM/AZ sun constantly and is still as white as it was 6 years ago. I clean and treat mine once a year.

Lots of products out there to renew rubber roofs, like arpipeliner suggested. And if yours turned chalky and black with treating it twice a year, I would try something different.

Personally, I would trade the unit before I replaced a rubber roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170210_121211633_HDR.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	136052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170214_083944.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	136053  
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
llr

I used a EDPM specific rubber roof coating from Menards, seemed to do a good job but only had the MH about a year after doing the coating

I think I damaged my roof by using a pressure washer on it
llr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, roo, roof