Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

Blown tire - Underbelly insulation material??

Well, it finally happened...the dreaded tread separation and resulting damage. I have an 08 Wildwood 26TBSS and on the way home from the campsite last week, it happened. After much research and speaking with my insurance company, I have decided to do the repairs on my own.

I found the Flex Mend Bottom Repair tape on Amazon to reseal the torn black polyethylene fabric, but I am having some problems finding the type of replacement insulation needed. It is white and does not appear to be very thick but was wondering if anyone here may know what type of insulation this is so that I can properly fill the void left in the areas beat to hell and back while the tire was flipping around.

There is also some pretty significant damage to the aluminum j-panel (skirt) in the back rear, but I will take my time and locate the needed panel either from a dealer, or someone at the storage facility who is not keeping a very good eye on their unattended camper kidding, of course. But if anyone knows of a good source on these, please let me know.

I also have to replace the valves that I had just installed a couple of years ago on the bottoms of the low point drains, but can pick those up at Home Depot for a few bucks. I will also spray foam in the area where the low point drains go up into the plywood since all of that was blown away also.

Luckily, I have some time as there are no camping plans in the immediate future, so I feel comfortable making the repairs myself. So if anyone has any tips on the insulation needed, I would very much appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190912_133411.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	215424   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190912_133318.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	215425   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190912_133348.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	215426   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190912_133340.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	215427   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190912_133306.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	215428  

Old 09-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbrew View Post
Well, it finally happened...the dreaded tread separation and resulting damage. I have an 08 Wildwood 26TBSS and on the way home from the campsite last week, it happened. After much research and speaking with my insurance company, I have decided to do the repairs on my own.

I found the Flex Mend Bottom Repair tape on Amazon to reseal the torn black polyethylene fabric, but I am having some problems finding the type of replacement insulation needed. It is white and does not appear to be very thick but was wondering if anyone here may know what type of insulation this is so that I can properly fill the void left in the areas beat to hell and back while the tire was flipping around.

There is also some pretty significant damage to the aluminum j-panel (skirt) in the back rear, but I will take my time and locate the needed panel either from a dealer, or someone at the storage facility who is not keeping a very good eye on their unattended camper kidding, of course. But if anyone knows of a good source on these, please let me know.

I also have to replace the valves that I had just installed a couple of years ago on the bottoms of the low point drains, but can pick those up at Home Depot for a few bucks. I will also spray foam in the area where the low point drains go up into the plywood since all of that was blown away also.

Luckily, I have some time as there are no camping plans in the immediate future, so I feel comfortable making the repairs myself. So if anyone has any tips on the insulation needed, I would very much appreciate it!
How old were the tires and what was there load rating ? hate the see a carlisle tore apart like that . but it can happen to any tire .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #3

This was my final year on these tires, actually it was the last camping trip before replacement...ugh. Anyway, they are load range D and were on their 5th year. I had always checked the pressure before every trip, kept them covered...etc.

Really, at this point, all I am concerned with is getting the camper fixed and then I will pursue a better option for tires. I am really considering going with an LT tire and better rims. I am sick of always white knuckling it while towing while constantly having to worry about the tires.

I also inspected the tires before each trip (including this last trip home) and saw no signs of imminent failure...no cracks, bubbles, etc. and it still peels like a banana.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #4

So really just looking for what I should use to replace the existing insulation. I should be able to pull the polyethylene pieces together after replacing the insulation and tape it closed with the flex tape or Scrim Shield tape. At least then it will be waterproof again. Everything else is just cosmetic.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
This was my final year on these tires, actually it was the last camping trip before replacement...ugh. Anyway, they are load range D and were on their 5th year. I had always checked the pressure before every trip, kept them covered...etc.

Really, at this point, all I am concerned with is getting the camper fixed and then I will pursue a better option for tires. I am really considering going with an LT tire and better rims. I am sick of always white knuckling it while towing while constantly having to worry about the tires.

I also inspected the tires before each trip (including this last trip home) and saw no signs of imminent failure...no cracks, bubbles, etc. and it still peels like a banana.
Thanks . I would think any fiberglass insulation would be fine . it's sold in many thickness's . The j-panel or quarter panel would need to be ordered from the manufacture or a dealer that does body work on campers may have a piece you could install . good luck with the repairs and glad it was not worse .
Seems no matter the tires you have the possibility of a blow out is there , tpms won't help LT tires can give way also . I thought about the LT's but would need to go up a rim size to get the load rating i need .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #6

RV Salvage Yards

Quote:
RV Salvage Yards in Georgia:
http://www.rverscorner.com/georgia.html

http://www.all-rite.com/index.php

There are many more salvage yards in other states. Some do business over the internet. Search for
RV salvage yards
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #7

Thank you both for the replies. I am going to try to get started on the repairs next week sometime. It should be fairly straight forward with the biggest repair item being the j panel. I will probably give a go at attempting to roll it back out flat again, but I think it might be a bit too mangled. I will give that salvage yard a look and see what I can find.

As far as the tires, yup, any tire can blow and I will be going with something that will lessen the chance of it happening. I know the subject of RV tires is well covered so I will take some time, read, learn and make the best decision that I can. Thanks again for all of the help!

Tags
insulation, tire, underbelly