Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #11

i believe it was in 2005. we had encountered 114deg F temps across South Dakota. several times i had to stop and reinstall the plastic strip that covers the screws along the edge of the trailer.
we left Greely co in route to 4 corners. abt 15 minutes out, the trim from the left rear wheel was dangling in the breeze. went back and just ripped it off but noticed the center part of the trailer around the wheel was bent in slightly...didn't see anything else wrong. did not check tire pressure...too much traffic to close and i had just checked that before leaving the campground.
we were well past Denver when a pickup came along side pointing. i pulled over and saw the cord flapping as i came to a stop. on inpection, all that was left was the bead and cord. rim did not touch the ground (lucky). pulled farther off the road and pulled out my trusty bottle jack and lug wrench. it didn't take long for me to dislike the decorative caps over the lug nuts (always thought they were long nuts...not so). short story, i couldn't get the lug nuts off. the decrotive piece would turn but the nut no.
i drove thru a neighborhood and on the other side was a few businesses and one was a tire store. replaced that tire and one catycorner to it that was questionable.

never had any indication of a problem except that bent piece on the trailer and thought the brace under it may have come unscrewed or something. no change is stability. could not see verticle angle of the rims change (always thought the axle with the flat would lean in the direction of the flat tire and i would be able to see that alignment change thru the rear view mirror...not so).
damage: it folded in that side of the trailer around the wheel wells. that piece had to be replaced and it just happened to be the longest piece...went from front to rear slide. there was a (mylar?) sheeting covering the bottom of the trailer over the wheel wells. the water lines ran thru there as well. it ripped that off. water lines survived but pulled it out of place. Damage, not counting the tires was over $2000. had it fixed after i got back home.
i purchased a tire monitoring system and so far am happy with it.
my tires were 3 yrs old when they developed problems.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I had one such adventure years ago. What I noticed immediately, without knowing what had happened, was a large amount of drag, requiring considerably more pedal to keep up speed.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
WJC

About three years ago coming home from Florida on 195 in south Carolina our prowler had a blow out on passenger side rear tire! the tire ripped open our floor causing a lot of interior damage! But the trailer stayed in control only thing we heard was a bang when the tire blew! But as we were changing the tire we got attacked by fire ants, not a great day. We were able to change the tire and made it home.
WJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:42 AM   #14

This is good to know, thanks all. I always assumed the trailer would pull to the side, nice to know it can be somewhat controlled.
2011 Surveyor 304
g0tr00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #15
Site Team

Lots of stories that are the same (didn't know it had happened) suggest to me that pressure monitoring systems are a good thing. Once a tire is gone, the other tire takes the full load. That can weaken THAT tire even if it doesn't blow. I've seen numerous cases where BOTH tires on one side are shredded. In some cases, that could be road hazard. But I think it is more likely that one tire went flat, the remaining tire takes the load until it too cannot stand the strain and blows. The driver didn't know until the second tire went flat. Anyone carry TWO spares?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Lots of stories that are the same (didn't know it had happened) suggest to me that pressure monitoring systems are a good thing. Once a tire is gone, the other tire takes the full load. That can weaken THAT tire even if it doesn't blow. I've seen numerous cases where BOTH tires on one side are shredded. In some cases, that could be road hazard. But I think it is more likely that one tire went flat, the remaining tire takes the load until it too cannot stand the strain and blows. The driver didn't know until the second tire went flat. Anyone carry TWO spares?
i do. year before last i had 2 flats within 15 minutes of each other. caught by monitoring system. believe monitor not being tight produced the 2nd. the next season, bought 2 rims w/tires from a trailer supply dealer.