Old 08-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Blowouts - what happens?

I see a few threads here on blowouts and would like to see what happened and how you guys/gals handled it.

If you could list what you have (TT, 5'er, etc), what happened, what it felt like and how did you get off the road (procedures).

I have read online the "steps" of what to do and what NOT to do, but I wanted to see user responses.

The Five D's
2011 Surveyor 304
g0tr00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Luckily, I have not personally had a blow-out or flat. But my DD and SIL had a flat last year on I 40 in NC while traveling with me in the lead, and the couple that bought my Trailmanor behind them. The couple behind noticed that our kids camper was starting to lean, but could not get over in the passing lane to check that out right away because of traffic. Meanwhile, the camper was leaning more and more. By the time they were able to pull out and check, that flat tire was starting to give up pieces, and our kids had no idea what was happening behind them. The Trailmanor couple contacted us all via CB radio, and we were able to pull over at the end of an acceleration lane. After a couple of tire changing goofs (SIL did not raise the camper high enough to get the new tire installed, needing a 2nd jack) we were off on our way with about a 15 minute stop.....definitely not NASCAR standards.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Never had a flat or blowout with our previous trailer. Have only had one with our current fifth wheel. Did not know it had happened until we stopped for gas and I saw that I had one tire in shreds on the wheel. It was about 70 miles from our last stop. Don't know how many of those 70 miles I drove with the the tire flat.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (12 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
I had a blow out recently. It was the rear tire on passenger side. I have a 31 ft rockwood ultra light. We heard the blowout doing about 60 mph. simply pulled to right shoulder , felt nothing. after looking at tire I pulled further off the interstate and used my hydraulic jack I always carry to install my spare. about 15 min and I was back on the road. Stopped at next exit and checked air in all tires.spare was low. The front tire on that side seemed to pick up the additional load ok. After I arrived home I replaced two tires.
Bill And Theresa Perry, At Lake Gaston
2003 F 150 Super crew with 5.4 Tow package
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
I have had one blowout and a number of flats. The flats I never knew about without seeing in the mirror or someone coming beside me to let me know. The blowout occured on I-10 at around 65MPH. It was the rear driver's side on trailer. It wiped out my sewer connection at the black tank blade valve and broke the grey tank dump line. Luckily no other damage.
2011 F350 Lariat Ultimate Dually 6.7 w/ B&W Companion
2014 Heritage Glen 356QBQ
2016 Explorer Platinum, 1998 Mustang
1SG(Ret) (1987) US Army Aviation

Days/Nights Camped 2016: 34
dogwood36322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
on I-75 , florida/georgia line, we must have ran over something ,blew out both driver sides at the same time, it had to be something like nails, a semi truck that was passing us, blew two tires at the same time , right next to us, dont know how we didnt bounce of one another,what a mess we made of the road, and of coarse the traffic was heavy and loaded with idiot tailgaters,we both managed to get off the the highway safely,our camper had two bent wheels with shredded tires, three hours and $900.00 later roadside service had us going again, no damage to the camper just got lucky i guess
Pat and Angela
2003 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 towing
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
Hitch: 1200 Equalizer
Redheaded blue tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
Had one about two weeks ago on the right rear. Never knew it happened. We were on a secondary road and two miles from home when a guy pulls up to us at a light and says "I think you better look at your tire". Pulled into a school parking lot and to my surprise there was little tire left on the rim. No damage. Changed the tire and made it home safe.
I did blow one about three years ago and heard that one. It was the right rear and caused $2100 damage that time.
What bothers me is that we drive our cars and trucks every day and beat the devil out of them and the tires run for 60,000 miles with minimal problems. Why can't they make trailer tires to have the same durability? It doesn't seem to be an issue of cost. I would gladly pay for the piece of mind and not have to risk someone getting injured or killed.
The Rooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
  • 60 mph
  • dual axle 5er
  • blowout on passenger side rear axle tire
  • never heard it
  • only happened to look out the mirror when it happened
  • pulled off safely
  • wasn't willing to drive on no-name chinese tires any more
  • replaced all 4 tires with Marathons - made in China but at least a brand name
  • still drivable, slide not damaged
  • $2,914 damage - 6 weeks to appraise, order parts, & repair

I was told by the tow truck driver, tire dealer, insurance adjuster, and repair shop that I was very lucky that the tire did not go through the floor and tear up the plumbing and electric.
Keith & Liz
2010 SilverBack 33L
2009 F-250
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Hello. My wife and have had one tire blowout this yearin Michigan. We never heard it, pulled into campground and the owner told me that I didn"t have a tire on the right front anymore. The trailer never pulled or swayed or gave any indication of a problem. Last week Aug. 11th we headed to a local campground for the weekend and both rear tires on same axle are down to the cords. Waiting to hear from dealer why this happened. 2012 V-CROSS 32Fk
rhughsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou
Last year (July) we were returning from camping at Quantico marine Base and at about 60 MPH in the middle lane on the beltway around DC I heard a "pop" and felt a slight (VERY slight) "jerk" then nothing. I turned to DW and said "I think we had a blowout." I saw an opportunity to pull over and check (the acceleration lane on an on ramp) and stopped.

The right forward tire on our 5th wheel was flat and had several chunks of rubber missing. The belt was broken completely around from bead to bead. We had some minor sheet metal damage and the plastic "fender trim" was gone.

Since it was on the guard rail side of the camper, I elected to change the tire with our spare. Locating all the stuff I needed took the most time.

I had almost decided to carry the spare in the truck bed, but with my short bed there would have been NO WAY to get it out without disconnecting. Glad I kept it on the bumber mount.

I found the bottle jack right away but I had to dig out the handle from behind the battery box where it had rolled at some point in the past.

Including the tool search and tire change, we were delayed about an hour.

Had it been on the road side it would have been very unsafe to try to change that tire. I would have had to call AAA (USAA actually since we have towing on our auto policy including the camper), and left it to them.
I am sure that would have taken longer than an hour, so I feel pretty lucky.

Repairs were done by me. The trim piece I ordered from the dealer (who failed to mention that shipping was TWICE the cost of the part (&^%$&^%) price they mentioned on the phone. A little tin knocking and we were back in business and you can't tell it was ever damaged.

ALL FOUR Carlisle C rated tires were replaced when the tire dealer showed me the dry rot cracks between the treads of all four 18 month old tires.

Replaced with 4 Goodyear Marathon D rated tires (USA MADE DoT Code MD) that I run at 55 PSI.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote