Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #1

Blue Screen on Laptop

The other day I was using my 2 month old laptop (Dell Inspiron)when I get a blue screen (not the blue screen of death but it appears like a wall paper) with 1's and 0's throught out. Nothing would run and I had to go into safe mode and run a virus scan. I have a current version of McAfee Security Center running. When I got into safe mode I ran Malwarebyetes and it found some issues. The same thing happened to my son who lives 40 miles away and has a different ISP. Both are conneced wirelessly. Has onyone else run into this situation and how do you prevent it from happening again?

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
The other day I was using my 2 month old laptop (Dell Inspiron)when I get a blue screen (not the blue screen of death but it appears like a wall paper) with 1's and 0's throught out. Nothing would run and I had to go into safe mode and run a virus scan. I have a current version of McAfee Security Center running. When I got into safe mode I ran Malwarebyetes and it found some issues. The same thing happened to my son who lives 40 miles away and has a different ISP. Both are conneced wirelessly. Has onyone else run into this situation and how do you prevent it from happening again?
Ahem, I would avoid opening emails from my son in the future...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #3

Kill McAfee first off. Seriously. You'll have to do some research on how to get it completely gone, but your computer will run faster once you do.

Replace McAfee with Microsoft Security Essentials. You should also be running a firewall of some kind. I've heard really good things about (and am using) PC Tools Firewall Plus.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

This was a "Trojan Horse" attack in my opinion. An email is sent from a know good source (who has also been infected in the same manner) with an innocuous attachment. Normally either patriotic, religious, or "friendship" oriented to ensure that the receiver opens it. The attachment will have a recognizable extension (like jpg or wmv) but that is a mask for an executable code string that runs on your command.

Once it runs; its first task is to hide itself from your antivirus program. Its next task is to use your contact list to mail itself to everyone you know.

The only sure way to defend yourself is to regularly scan your computer and files with at least two different malware programs. You will need an antivirus and a malware detection program. Think of an antivirus as a vaccination to prevent an infection and a anti-malware program as an Antibiotic to kill the bug that bit you.

While I use AVG Free to protect myself from viruses, AVG will not stop a Trojan. AVG Free will scan for and clean "root kit infections." It is the only free antivirus that does that that I am aware of.

Malware (or trojan) is "invited in" by the user. They need to be screened for and destroyed regularly to keep your system fast and bug free. I use two weekly to keep my systems running and avoid infecting my friends.

Malwarebytes from Malwarebytes is free and does a fine job.
Hitman Pro 3.5 (google the web site) is also free to install and scan. It will also give you a free "cleaning" if you do get hit. After the first free cleaning you will need to buy it for further infections (it will still scan though).

Firewalls are very tricky and often are installed improperly. A bad firewall installation will make your computer nearly unusable, and you will soon tire of the hastle and it will be deleted. Windows comes with a fair firewall that works well enough for most users. I would leave it do its job as defined by Microsoft and know that you can still print to a shared printer on your home network.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #5

I used to go with free antivirus and firewalls. Then I got a tough virus to kill. All my usual prgrams that would strip out these viruses (I'm the guy that all his friends brings there messed up computers too) Then I tried Kaspersky - I love it - bought 3 licences of internet security for about 50 dollars cdn. I haven't had one go through yet and had a fair it stopped (Kids and their downloads). I recommend the Internet security - over just the antivirus.

Malware sucks -my boss keeps getting caught by them at work. Stripped out Malware there 3 times now, last time he tried blaming someone else until I pointed out it originated under his account. To top it off he was on a major rant (thats a nice way of saying tantrum) to the other employee's when I threw that at him LMAO
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I blamed the kids for lost tools for years until they moved out on their own.
Still lose tools. I am wondering how they sneak in and do that ...

I will give Kaspersky a try. Always looking for the next best thing.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #7

Nothing worse than getting a virus on your computer. If they catch the developers, they should band them from ever being anywhere near a computer again.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #8

Find your users manual. Power it on and start it up in safe mode. Once it is up restore it to a date prior to the infection. Should work then download AVG anti-virus and SpyBot SD for free and do a scan. I just did three in our home for the same reason.
jdandrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #9

I use Symantec Corporate and scan regularly with Malwarebytes Anti-maleware
one thing that people always forget to do is Update the definitions -
thats the first thing I ask - did you up date the definitions and I always get the same answer - nah I just ran the scan and it was clean LOL

I have also used trend micro - which used to be house call - seems to work good as well

I havent had good look with Kaspersky's but if it works for you I say roll with it.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote