Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #1

Body panel fasteners: Torx?

I recently went in for warranty service on my Berkshire and noticed that a lot of items that the dealer failed to do involved an oddball Torx fastener. A T15 is too small and a T20 is to big. I took a wax imprint and I'm pretty sure it is Torx.

These fasteners are used on the bay doors, for example. Does anybody know where to get this socket?
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #2

I don't find any torx fasteners on my Wildcat, but I do have quite a few #2 square drive fasteners. Maybe that's what you're looking at -- they can look like torx.
bruceatlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceatlam View Post
I don't find any torx fasteners on my Wildcat, but I do have quite a few #2 square drive fasteners. Maybe that's what you're looking at -- they can look like torx.
The square fasteners are Robertson, and I've got lots of bits for them, because they are popular in Canada, particularly in home construction.

It might be that these fasteners are only used by one or two Forest River factories, including Berkshire.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Bruce,
Thanks.

I thought more carefully about your answer and realized that this is, indeed, an 8-pt fastener that fits a square #2 Robertson driver, so I am able to work with them.

The fastener and driver combination seems to be a combination that uses the worst of the two systems. So, I suspect it is done to work around the Torx and Robertson patents.

The screws look like a #10, and the Robertson world would drive them with a larger #3 driver, not a #2. And the Torx world would use a real 8 pt driver, not 4 pt.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:26 PM   #5

Quote:
I thought ours were torx also, but they are the #2 square drive fasteners too. They are all over our coach. Glad my brother-inlaw had a set, I have used that one size many times already.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:42 AM   #6

The coated deck screws at lowes are an odd size torx. They come with a bit in the box when you buy them, nothing else will fit them. You could try one of these if the square drive fails. You would have to buy a box of screws or find someone who has left overs.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:37 AM   #7

FWIW. torx is a 6 point. Robertson is 4 of course. There is a "posi-drive" that is 8 point. I think they call it. Most people have used 4 point on the 8 with success. They do make 8 point drive. A better quality Robertson may be another answer. Some are tapered more than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:47 AM   #8

guaranteed they are #2 square drive. Way to much overthinking it going on here. It's a common drive that has been around forever in the mobile home/rv industry.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote