Old 08-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #1

Boliy Generator review

Ok last week it was really hot and we were at a family reunion and needed a generator. Fortunately we were close by our RV dealer so we thought we would check out what he had and maybe get a deal.. well all they sell there was a brand i never heard of... Boliy??

I have read a few posts on these generators since we bought our and they all seem to be a little wiery of the theses machines. So far i am satisfied with ours.

We bought a 3600si unit(3000watts, 3300watts peak). First thing you notice is that it doesn't come with an extra guy to carry it like the yamahas(lol) Its very llight, 75lbs with fuel. Some have complained about the fit and finsh but ours is fine. I like the compact design.

Ok now for you Yammy lovers, yes it may be a little louder than a yamaha but i bet not too much. Another camper beside us had a yamaha3000 and his was a little quieter but he even noted that it was not too bad at all. Another camper had a Yamaha 2800 and i would say it was close to the same db as this, maybe even a little quieter in econo mode.

I know Yamahas(and probably Hondas) are still the first choice for rv'rs but if you don't have $2500 lying around and are not a body builder than these little units may be the answer.

AND i am not a guy selling them, or a guy that just posted this to give them a good review, i just think people should know when someone trys something different, because all i read was "has anoyone tried these or own one??" So yea i have.

So heres my summary:

PROS
Light - very light
Quiet - (52-58db from 7m) not super quiet but better than a Champion
Compact

Cons
Fuel tank could be bigger - 1.2gal - I got 4hrs on full load - not great.
Still a fairly new prodcut so really don't know how the engine will be for maintenance.
Some motor surging(i read this is normal til the motor gets a few hours on it)

Ok yammy lovers let the bashing begin..

Old 08-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #2

I forgot to add the price, not sure what the rules on this site are, but it was roughly 1/2 price of a Yamaha 3000.(in Canada) Probably cheaper in the states

Old 08-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsim View Post
I forgot to add the price, not sure what the rules on this site are, but it was roughly 1/2 price of a Yamaha 3000.(in Canada) Probably cheaper in the states
tell us what ya paid if ya don't mind

we don't have any issues with it
Old 07-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsim View Post
Ok last week it was really hot and we were at a family reunion and needed a generator. Fortunately we were close by our RV dealer so we thought we would check out what he had and maybe get a deal.. well all they sell there was a brand i never heard of... Boliy??

I have read a few posts on these generators since we bought our and they all seem to be a little wiery of the theses machines. So far i am satisfied with ours.

We bought a 3600si unit(3000watts, 3300watts peak). First thing you notice is that it doesn't come with an extra guy to carry it like the yamahas(lol) Its very llight, 75lbs with fuel. Some have complained about the fit and finsh but ours is fine. I like the compact design.

Ok now for you Yammy lovers, yes it may be a little louder than a yamaha but i bet not too much. Another camper beside us had a yamaha3000 and his was a little quieter but he even noted that it was not too bad at all. Another camper had a Yamaha 2800 and i would say it was close to the same db as this, maybe even a little quieter in econo mode.

I know Yamahas(and probably Hondas) are still the first choice for rv'rs but if you don't have $2500 lying around and are not a body builder than these little units may be the answer.

AND i am not a guy selling them, or a guy that just posted this to give them a good review, i just think people should know when someone trys something different, because all i read was "has anoyone tried these or own one??" So yea i have.

So heres my summary:

PROS
Light - very light
Quiet - (52-58db from 7m) not super quiet but better than a Champion
Compact

Cons
Fuel tank could be bigger - 1.2gal - I got 4hrs on full load - not great.
Still a fairly new prodcut so really don't know how the engine will be for maintenance.
Some motor surging(i read this is normal til the motor gets a few hours on it)

Ok yammy lovers let the bashing begin..
Ok, you've had it about a year. What's the good news? Has it lived up to your expectations or have had some problems? I'm considering buying one and would like to get your feedback; good or bad. Thanks for updating us.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #5

We were walking through Costco the other day and noted that they have a generator that looks identical to a Honda 2000i and is even powered by a Honda engine but was another name on the side of it. I think it was Homelite or something similar but not sure. What was amazing was the price was half that of Honda. Costco has some great prices on generators. Those looking might want to take a look there.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

To be kind to your AC, microwave, TVs and such, just make sure the generator you buy is an "inverter" unit.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
To be kind to your AC, microwave, TVs and such, just make sure the generator you buy is an "inverter" unit.
The Boliy is an inverter. Here is their website. Also here is a video comparing the relative noise levels of the Boliy and the Yamaha. The Boliy is in the 53 to 58db range for about half the cost of the Yamaha.

Boliy Generator Boliy Guy

Old 07-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
We were walking through Costco the other day and noted that they have a generator that looks identical to a Honda 2000i and is even powered by a Honda engine but was another name on the side of it. I think it was Homelite or something similar but not sure. What was amazing was the price was half that of Honda. Costco has some great prices on generators. Those looking might want to take a look there.
i heard some Costcos were selling the Honeywell 2000. looks like a Honda but there have been issues with them.
of course, these are Chinese-made gennies since Honeywell in the U.S. doesn't make generators.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i heard some Costcos were selling the Honeywell 2000. looks like a Honda but there have been issues with them.
of course, these are Chinese-made gennies since Honeywell in the U.S. doesn't make generators.
In checking the specs, the Honeywell was 69-70db under load. That's about 10 more than a Honda, Yamaha or Boliy. Might irritate a few of the neighbors.