Old 10-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #1

Boondocking help for deer huinting in MO. in Nov.

I am strongly considering taking my FR Salem 27BHS to live in for 5 days while deer hunting. In Nov. in Missouri, it usually gets cold at night, sometimes, freezing, but usually not. I will need heat for sure, and I would like to have a bathroom for certain daily events. 30 Gal. of fresh water is more than enough for me to flush, wash, and shower for the 5 days.

I have a generator to run, but its larger and noisier than I would like to have running all night. Out on the farm, you can hear those things running a mile away, and a camper 20' away, it will be really loud. I am thinking about running it for about 8 - 10 hours during the daytime, until bedtime to recharge the battery. It will stay on battery power until I return from hunting each morning about 10am, then I will start up the generator until 8 or 10 pm everyday. Btw, it has a brand new typical car battery size deep cycle battery.

1. Will this battery support the ducted heater overnight, along with a light or two and occasional pump usage to flush and wash hands etc.

2. Is 8-10 hours enough time to sufficently charge the deep cycle?

3. If I ran the fridge on propane at night, could I run the camper (heater, light, occasional flush, possibly a t.v.) on one of those 800 watt generators from Harbor Freight, overnight, and my bigger generator during the daytime?

4. I plan to shower etc. during the daytime, will this usage of the water pump and or running a t.v. prevent proper charging?

5. Should I kill the fridge completely? How much propane will it use for 5 days with the heater? I could live off ice in a cooler if needed.

6. I will be using this mostly for sleeping, just me only, I will be over at a different hunting camp for most everything else.

7. I Plan to keep gal. or anti freeze on-hand incase it's going to really freeze. Might winterize it before hand too. Jugs of antifreeze are reatively cheap compared to repairs.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #2

Why not run the generator at night when your furnace is needed? We do a lot of dry camping here in Missouri and we run our genset at night, set the furnace at about 60 and supplement the furnace with a 1500w ceramic heater. Stays nice and toasty and the furnace rarely kicks on. Take your shower at night, and run your lights when needed. No need to worry about your battery during the day when you're not using anything. Turn off the furnace, go hunting and relax. It's nothing to worry about. What size genset do you have?

If you have a porta potty take it along, use it and don't worry about your tanks. Take plenty of bottled water and you'll be good to go. No need in over thinking things.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #3

The generator is a Dewalt 4400 watt generator, complete with a crane hook. I bought it when we lost power at the house one year, and I keep it for that purpose. The place I am going to set-up the camper currently doesn't have any services. I would rather run the gen during the day because I won't have to listen to it. I remember during a big power outage, listening to that thing hum away in the back yard, kind of annoying. One option I might work on is to put the gen inside an old concrete storm shelter that is missing the door. It would hopefully block some of the noise since the in the camper if I ran it at night.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #4

I guess I'm just used to mine, besides when your inside and the furnace/tv/heater is running you can barely hear it. There are several designs of boxes out there if you google them that keep the noise down.

I just can't see running it during the day when you're not going to be around. Different stroke for different folks :-)
Old 10-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #5

X2 on running the generator at night if you are concerned about the battery. But leave the frig on propane and let it do it's thing. You should have enough propane, if both tanks are full to begin with, to supply the frig, furnace, and the water heater for the hunt. I personally have two 12v deep cell batteries and the only time I run the generator is in the mornings when there is a need to turn on the coffee maker and throw a Hot Pocket in the micro before the morning hunt.

No need to winterize because you will be using the furnace and as long you keep all of the outside hatches shut at night so the water lines shouldn't freeze. My deer hunt is at the end of next week and it will be warm here in southern AZ, but our pig hunt (Javalina) last Jan., which got down to 17 degrees for a coulpe of nights, we had had no issues with frozen water lines in any of the trailers (5) (it was a dry cold), except for the one that left the hatche open for the night. No breakage, but had to use one of those hair blowers to thaw out the water lines in the storage compartment.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #6

I totally understand what your saying, and I ma just end up running it at night, and during the day as needed. I am just exploring all angles and not ruling anything out yet. It may be that I have to figure out what will work best when I am there.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #7

Where are you hunting at? I live in Troy, about an hour north of St. Louis.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #8

I hunt in a few places, just depends on the season. Serious bow hunting takes place in NE. Mo. and regular gun season happends in SE. Mo., which is a laid back gathering, and not so serious.