Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
Infractee

Angry Brand new camper, did I break it already?

Just took delivery of brand new Rockwood 8316SS, plugged in power, checked all electrical, everything working. Plugged in city water, check supplies and drains after running water everywhere and I can find no leaks. The problem is, the gas/electric water heater was plugged in to electric under sink so I know it got powered up with no water in it and of course there is no hot water coming out of hot taps. Did I burn up the rod? I can not find a switch on the water heater itself, just a reset.

How much do those rods cost?
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #2

RhoZeta, there is a small rocker switch in the water heater accessible from the outside WH panel. It is pretty well hidden so you have to get kind of low and look for it. It may just be turned off.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #3

If in fact the electrical element was turned on when you plugged in to power and you didn't have water in the tank then yes you more than likely burned out the electric element, it doesn't take long for them to go if there is no water in the tank. If so you can still use propane to heat the water until you get a new element.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #4

Just a note...make sure that the water heater has not been bypassed. Somewhere in the area of your water heater you should be able to see the "cold in (blue)" and "hot out (red)" water lines. Most likely there is also a bypass installed which will divert cold water before it gets to the water heater and around to the hot out without passing through the water heater. Water will travel in the direction of the valves.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #5

I am confused? electric supplies then city water and water running everwhere?? Is it me or is that hard to read?understand?

So what is the correct step here, hook up water fill water heater then plug in power? I thought these water heaters were electric /gas powered , down't you have to switch something and or light it ?
HMMMMMMMMM

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by threegr8katz View Post
I am confused? electric supplies then city water and water running everwhere?? Is it me or is that hard to read?understand?

So what is the correct step here, hook up water fill water heater then plug in power? I thought these water heaters were electric /gas powered , down't you have to switch something and or light it ?
HMMMMMMMMM
Make sure bypass valves are in the proper position. The red and blue line valve should be parallel with the lines, and the line joining the red and blue should be perpendicular to that line.

Hook up city water line, or cut on water pump. Run water out of each spigot via the hot water knob. That will fill the water heater.

To run on electric, make sure breaker is on in the power center, and throw the small toggle switch to on located at the bottom left on the outside portion of the water heater......it is well hidden. When you winterized your camper, make sure the toggle switch is turned off.

To run on gas, there should be a toggle switch somewhere in you camper. Get gas to your oven 1st to purge the lines.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

WHat mtnguy said but open the water heater access panel outside the trailer and pop open the pressure relief valve to ensure the heater is full before turning on the heater. Not sure where your water heater controls are beside the one on the heater itself that has been discussed. You may have the Forrest River control center like we do and all your switches are on it.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
RhoZeta, there is a small rocker switch in the water heater accessible from the outside WH panel. It is pretty well hidden so you have to get kind of low and look for it. It may just be turned off.
Excellent, I did not see any switches in the WH compartment other than the reset switch that is behind a rubber boot. I will look for the small rocker when I get home. Thanks Frank!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Infractee

Yes, bypass valve is closed, made sure of that. Next I will manually open the the pressure relief valve to bleed any air and then find the rocker switch.
There is a switch on the control panel in the camper but it is for the dsi.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by threegr8katz View Post

HMMMMMMMMM
Sorry for the confusion, should have read ran water at each valve/tap. Only trying to run it on elec right now, have not turned on gas. That will be after I get the water heater working on electric.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
Infractee

Thanks for everybodies quick and helpful replies! It is greatly apreciated.
RZ
Old 10-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Sorry for the confusion, should have read ran water at each valve/tap. Only trying to run it on elec right now, have not turned on gas. That will be after I get the water heater working on electric.
One more thing to look out for. If you heat your water by elec, then switch to gas, the red light may not come on and the water heater may not try to light. It's because the water in the tank is already hot. After the water cools the gas side will operate normally. I ran into this a couple of times before NWJeeper was able to helped me out.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Infractee

Thumbs up

Found it!!

Lower aft end of WH area, under a lot of pipes and wires.

It even has an R key to safe it in the off position, for when it is winterized I am assuming?
Pulled the pin, hit the switch and after about 5 minutes warm water started flowing.

Thanks again for every body's help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	3668  
Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #14

I have one suggestion and this is what I do and it works for me, after camping I turn the breaker off in the breaker panel to the water heater this way I know that the water heater is off.
When we go back out for camping and connect the city water up and turn it on I then open all hot water sides to all of the sinks to make sure a steady flow of water is present then I turn the breaker on to the water heater. This work every time and while driving away I don't have to think back and try to remember If I turn the switch off to the water heater.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #15
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I have one suggestion and this is what I do and it works for me, after camping I turn the breaker off in the breaker panel to the water heater this way I know that the water heater is off.
When we go back out for camping and connect the city water up and turn it on I then open all hot water sides to all of the sinks to make sure a steady flow of water is present then I turn the breaker on to the water heater. This work every time and while driving away I don't have to think back and try to remember If I turn the switch off to the water heater.

Thanks for the tip, I am currently writing a pre and post flight check list to be done before towing to and during setup at camp and then breaking camp/towing home and subsequent unloading and trip back to the hangar.
Water heater on and off W/purge will be on them.

I will have my checklist and Me Wife will have hers.....
Old 10-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #16
Infractee

A quick picture of the new toy... more to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7100.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	3669  
Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #17

Pheeew ! My fingers were crossed for you ! I am glad it was in the off position. I always turn it off when I am done camping regardless of whether I have water in the water heater tank or not. Just in case it leaked or something and it is dry and might be harmed when I plug in the power, as that is the first thing I do when I am setting up.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #18

Very nice camper .Looking forward to more pics. Good luck and enjoy
Old 10-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #19

rockwood06-I just picked up our new Signature Ultralite 8296SS this past weekend and during the walkthrough with the dealer, the tech mentioned that some people turn the heater off by using the breaker, as you do. However, he said this could weaken the breaker over time and it may start to trip on its own, unecessariily. I just thought I would share that.
Time2Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Tow View Post
rockwood06-I just picked up our new Signature Ultralite 8296SS this past weekend and during the walkthrough with the dealer, the tech mentioned that some people turn the heater off by using the breaker, as you do. However, he said this could weaken the breaker over time and it may start to trip on its own, unecessariily. I just thought I would share that.
Also be careful that something else is not wired into the same breaker. On my Surveyor, the water heater and the fridge use the same breaker.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote