Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #1

Break Away Cable?

The campsite I am on right now is not very level..Somewhat of a hill you might say..I was wondering if I pulled my break away after my TT is set up on this campsite,would it lock up my wheels and prevent my TT from possibly rolling?
gucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #2

Yes it would but they are not made for this it will overheat the brakes possibly short things out. Break away is only for emergency use it applies 12V to the electric bakes (full power) and locks them up, this will also drain your battery fast and or over work your converter. Testing the break away is a momentary thing pulling the break away and leaving it out will cause some issues.

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #3

Do not use your breakaway to stop TT from moving. Did I say DO NOT? You will burn out the mag. on the TT brakes. The breakaway if for emergency use only. Use proper chocks to stop TT from rolling.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #4

Ok thanks!!!Now I know not to use it this way...
gucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Seriously, you are not this first on the forum to ask a similar question.

A brief search on "break away" would have saved you some embarrassment. There is so much information here you could spend hours reading terrific posts on just about any question you could dream up. I spent days (really!) learning how the "search" feature worked and learned about my camper by the bucket full.

Welcome to the forum and please don't take this the wrong way. We want you here, and we want you learn and to be a contributor.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Villa Estate 392FLFB

chocks are your friend!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Seriously, you are not this first on the forum to ask a similar question.

A brief search on "break away" would have saved you some embarrassment. There is so much information here you could spend hours reading terrific posts on just about any question you could dream up. I spent days (really!) learning how the "search" feature worked and learned about my camper by the bucket full.

Welcome to the forum and please don't take this the wrong way. We want you here, and we want you learn and to be a contributor.
Helpful suggestion:
On another board there is a "Library" for FAQs that seems to be a good starting reference. "With the "Library" method I can quickly see if the information relates to my question or not which saves time & effort.

"Searches" tend to be hit or miss with me but mostly on the miss side. In other words doing seaches often do not pay off for me; therefore, I might end up asking a question that might had been asked before.

I'm an odd duck to start with. I have trouble trying to "Think out of the Box" but get me started and I will start exploring possiblities.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Jane,

I know how frustrating the layout is. The Admin, with help from the moderators, have tried several times to reorganize the forum to be more helpful and user friendly.

The real issue is how questions get posed and how answers get posted.
When a Thread starts out in the "Welcome" section but asks help with a problem; other users chime right in and start helping.

It is human nature and we all do it. We want to help and the next thing you know there are 15 posts with pictures and manuals and links to solutions. Some good; some OK; and some not so good.

Sometimes the answer is targeted to a particular model of RV (like a MH) that does not apply to say, a 5th wheel).

Sometimes another forum member will chime in with a "similar" problem that is not similar at all and off the thread goes in a totally different direction; occasionally abandoning the original poster (OP). As moderators we try to stop this and move the offending posts to a new thread, but we can't read them all. Someone has to report the "hijacking" so we can fix it.

If a thread gets it right and it is "THE ANSWER" we try to "Stick" the thread and move it to the correct area of the board. So look for "Stuck" threads before you post a similar problem is all we ask.

We are also used to the "Google" way of searching. Type a complete sentence like; "I have a suburban 6 gallon water heater that won't light when the wind blows. What is wrong?" into Google and the engine searches through all that useless garbage to try and find links that apply.
The Forum software is "not so much." If you put more than "Suburban" or at most "water heater" into the search box you will "get no hits."

I hope that helps some.

On a personal note: I made a folder on my hard drive for my camper. In that folder I made folders for major systems and in those folders I made folders for every item in that major system. Articles; links; and manuals I find here that apply to my camper get downloaded and put into the correct spot so I can find it when I am on the road. (I keep a copy of that "flight manual" on our iPad (and laptop) so I can reference it on the road.
Before you know it you will have everything there is to know about your camper at your fingertips and will be "The Campground Expert."
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Herk-

Now that I have read your last post things make more sense. I usually visits posts by going directly to the recent posts section instead ofa particular board at a time. If the board name is listed there I don't see it but then I'm not really looking for it either.

The key in good searching is inputting a good search sentence or keywords to start with. My goggle search skills sucks but I will take your example and try putting in more possible useful information to help narrow down what is displayed. Your example was right on for how I try searching.

Take care,
T.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote