Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #1

Question Break Question on 23' Flagstaff

Hey Guys,

New to the forum and trailer in general. Long story short, I got the trailer from a family member and just have a couple questions:
  1. Do the electronic breaks engage when disconnected from the towing vehicle (ie, when you are parking the trailer for storage, etc.)?
  2. If so, is there a manual override on the trailer brakes so that I can move it without being connected to a truck?
  3. If not, I take it I should chock my tires to ensure it doesn't roll while in storage.

The reason for the questions is the "storage" location is our cabin where we will be using it throughout the summer. We dropped the trailer off a week ago and plan on moving it into place with our farm tractor which has a hitch on it. Will this work since I don't have a tow package on the tractor or will I have to hook up the wiring as necessary to disengage the breaks?

Thanks to everyone in advance for your help!

Cheers!

Malhovic
malhovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #2

I'm thinking that the tractor will work just fine. Our dealer mover trailers around all day just using a ball on the forks of a fork lift.
The way the trailer brakes get locked up is if the breakaway switch is pulled.

BOB
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #3

As Bobfidy says... The trailer brakes are inactive unless one of two things happen. 1) the trailer is hooked up to the tow vehicle and the brake controller is activated, electrically engaging the brakes. 2) the safety brake cable has been pulled from the actuater, this is designed such that when properly connected to a tow vehicle, while travelling if the trailer became dis-connected from the truck, the cable would pull and the actuater (with charged batteries) will electrically engage the trailer, in theory bringing the trailer to a stop. More than likely the trailer would loose control completely and probably begin to skid and roll onto it's side.

While parked at a storage/campsite, if there is any chance that the trailer might roll while parked, then the wheels need to be chalked.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #4

Thank you both for your quick replies!

I wasn't sure if the electrical connection was reversed where, with no electricity the breaks are engaged but with electricity they are not. Now I know that they need electricity to be engaged.

The location where we are keeping the trailer for the time being is definitely not an even surface. I will have to chock the tires for sure then. Right now they are set in a deep rut (not by luck either but that is a long story) so it isn't going anywhere but once it is in its, shall we say, temporary resting place I will definitely have to do something for it.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help here!

Happy Camping!
malhovic is offline   Reply With Quote