Old 08-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #1

Broken AC Fan Blade

Is it normal?

We turn the AC "ON" only to hear a loud rattle noise coming from the roof AC unit. We have a factory installed DOMETIC Duo-Therm A/C unit on the 2010 Shamrock 21ss, ducted system.

Upon opening the plastic casing of the roof unit I found that one of the six blades was broken. The fan blade will run unbalanced and will make the rattle noise. Is it normal for these fan baldes to break?

Here is a link to a website that sells the fan baldes. http://www.adventurerv.net/dometic-d...8-p-16295.html

Old 08-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONI View Post
Is it normal?

We turn the AC "ON" only to hear a loud rattle noise coming from the roof AC unit. We have a factory installed DOMETIC Duo-Therm A/C unit on the 2010 Shamrock 21ss, ducted system.

Upon opening the plastic casing of the roof unit I found that one of the six blades was broken. The fan blade will run unbalanced and will make the rattle noise. Is it normal for these fan baldes to break?

Here is a link to a website that sells the fan baldes. Dometic Duo-therm Air Conditioner Fan Blade 3107914.008 - $7.13
NONI, i am right up Rt28 from you, no i don't live here i work here.
To answer your question it's not too often that the fan blads break, but it does happen from time to time.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #3

I have two theories:
1) The breaking blade has something to do with a bouncing road. We were heading down a hilly road doing 55mph and in two occasions I felt the camper bounce up and down. The blade could have bounce up and down and hit the roof, crak one of the blades. Upon turning the AC "on" the blade could not withstand the RPMS and broke off..
2) This was a defective "poor" blade. They are made of plastic, and after all they experience heat and cold changes throughout few seasons.

I am interested in what others may think?
Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #4

NO! not normal on a 2010 model. my old coleman popup was a 1992 and we never had a fan blade break, we now have a 2005 Salem and no broken blades. For teh blade ot bounce up and hit het case the motor would have to have alot of play in the mounting to allow that much movement. Take it back for warrenty!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #5

usually when i get that, it is due to dirt dobbers building on the blade. u may not have that issue there but i would look for something on the blade causing an imbalance. could also be on the inside; they built there once also.
blade could happen but would be rare.

check and see if the set screws are tight on the fan...i consider this to be a very low probability.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #6

thank you. I will get back on the roof and check the shaft, blade screw, and tightness of the motor... thank you again...
Old 08-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #7

something, like a dirt dobber, wasp building something on the shaft or blade have a higher level of probability. spin the blade around and look for something like that.
it was a real problem when i kept the trailer in the country. i could count on one building there a couple times/season. would check it before putting it on the road.
u may have a different name for them, they look like a wasp but build their nest out of mud.
the imbalance makes them sound like their coming apart.

the loose screws, i've never seen. i have had the squirrel cage blower come loose where it was crimped to the part bolted to the shaft. would make a terrible noise every so often. the way i found it was the paint was rubbed off around where it was loose.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #8

Ok, thank you

Tags
fan