Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2015, 08:34 PM   #1

Broken Window Glass - Frameless Tinted

Hey guys. Today I made a boneheaded mistake while pulling my trailer out of it's parking spot, and shattered the window. It's a 2015 Apex 259BHSS, and the glass is the top bunk window.

Does anyone know the fastest possible way to get a replacement glass for it? I tried searching online for the LCI window replacements, and my googlizing has failed me.

Besides the obvious answer of "Call the dealer" (which I intend to do when they open in the morning), anyone know of a place to get just the glass. I certainly don't need the whole frame.
dive2deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #2

Broken Window Glass - Frameless Tinted

http://lci1.com/bonded-window

Try this? Not sure what size or type you need, but this might help or get you pointed in the right direction. A call to SAFELIGHT might help also
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #3

Make a template and take it over to any local custom glass shop. I just went through that last month with my kitchen window... stayed a little too long when I knew a storm was coming in and flying debris got me!
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #4

Thanks, I put a piece of luan plywood on it from the inside with an impressive duct tape job to get us through the weekend camping, but next weekend we are doing three nights, and I really want to get it fixed before then.

I saw the LCI website, and called their customer service line but they were closed.

I will give the local glass shops a call, I will need automotive (shattery-type) glass, with rounded corners, I'm sure it won't be cheap. Stupidity hurts the wallet.

Yarome, can you tell me what a custom cut cost you to do that?
Old 06-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #5

On our last camper we has a broken window, i took the frame to local glass place and they put a high quality plexiglass in it, out the door for $25

Sent from my SM-N910V
mustardbucket107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #6

My frameless escape window for FR CC 29RE became unlatched and flew off somewhere out along the highway....Did not notice it until next day when home......Ordered a complete window frame assembly---(you cannot buy just the glass from FR)--------from FR...Unit + exchange + shipping to canada was a few $$ under $400.00 and it took a month from order date!!!!!......J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dive2deep View Post
Hey guys. Today I made a boneheaded mistake while pulling my trailer out of it's parking spot, and shattered the window. It's a 2015 Apex 259BHSS, and the glass is the top bunk window.

Does anyone know the fastest possible way to get a replacement glass for it? I tried searching online for the LCI window replacements, and my googlizing has failed me.

Besides the obvious answer of "Call the dealer" (which I intend to do when they open in the morning), anyone know of a place to get just the glass. I certainly don't need the whole frame.
Takes a man to admit his mistakes.

So, how did it happen?
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #8

go to glass shop forest river likes to replace whole frame and everything. cost a lot more money.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Yarome, can you tell me what a custom cut cost you to do that?
Sure. They charged me for a 36" x 24" sheet of tinted tempered glass and custom cut it. It came out to $109 because of the radius cuts. I took in a template and a piece of the broken window, took a long lunch and picked it up a couple of hours later.

That place was kind of a mom and shop so I'm not sure what other companies might charge. I felt pretty good about the price.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #10

Quote:

Go to local m glass shop cheaper if you get plain then tint your self.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:12 AM   #11

Thanks for the replies everyone. Getting ready to call Lippert Components to see about a replacement, before I go the dealer route (I personally hate all RV dealers I've ever met).

I did this little doozie like so: My trailer is parked on the side of the house between a fence, and my house, with maybe 6" of room between it and the gutter that runs the length of the house. This gutter is on level with the top window. While pulling out of this tight parking spot, I started to turn the wheels sooner than I should have, and the window ended up rubbing up against the gutter's lip. Here is the Einstein moment, I decided to sacrifice the gutter in order to save the camper, but as soon as I physically collapsed the alum gutter in order to releave the pressure, the gutter unexpectedly bent outwards, creating a point that shattered the glass.

Took it camping with a piece of wood in it this past weekend, and honestly it was usable, but it burns me to no end to have to look at my brand new trailer and see a busted out window... one that I busted out myself.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #12

My wife would have said, I'm glad it wasn't me!

Good luck on the replacement.

And you'd been better off by saying one of the neighbor kids did that!

All you can do is laugh about it because crying over it won't work.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 AM   #13

Update for anyone that cares. I decided to go with original Lippert window, instead of a cut replacement since the trailer is so new, I kind of want it to be right. Also there are pieces glued to the glass in a way that may make it hard to replicate if I tried to attach them myself.

I called Lippert Components and Coachmen as well. Basically nobody stocks these, and you have to special order it with two week lead time. Even though Lippert has their name on the glass, it is actually outsourced, and LCI does not build these windows, they are just a middleman, who prints "LCI" on the glass before sending them to Forest River to install in your RV. Price is about $250, and is only sold as the full assembly with the window frame as well. I don't need the frame, but if that is the only way I can get it, so be it.

Moral of the story, it costs ~$250 to break your frameless window glass. Don't break your frameless window glass.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Update for anyone that cares. I decided to go with original Lippert window, instead of a cut replacement since the trailer is so new, I kind of want it to be right. Also there are pieces glued to the glass in a way that may make it hard to replicate if I tried to attach them myself.

I called Lippert Components and Coachmen as well. Basically nobody stocks these, and you have to special order it with two week lead time. Even though Lippert has their name on the glass, it is actually outsourced, and LCI does not build these windows, they are just a middleman, who prints "LCI" on the glass before sending them to Forest River to install in your RV. Price is about $250, and is only sold as the full assembly with the window frame as well. I don't need the frame, but if that is the only way I can get it, so be it.

Moral of the story, it costs ~$250 to break your frameless window glass. Don't break your frameless window glass.
As I noted before mine was a few $$ less than $400.00...Exchange and shipping was more than window....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #15

I have a palomino trailer this just happened to. I looked into having glass made but did not feel comfortable installing it since mine is only adhered in place plus it was $200 for tinted tempered glass. The factory is only 1.5 hrs from me so I went there and bought the whole frame and glass assembly for $159. Took me ten minutes to change them out. Mine was the upper bunk window.
Rooftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #16

I also very much recommend going to the factory where they actually built your rv to get parts. No matter what brand they all have a parts department and will sell to you direct. Avoids a ton of headaches dealing with middle men. Just have your model number and serial number handy.
Rooftop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame