Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #1

Burglar alarm system on TT?

Greetings!

I've been lurking a while, did a number of searches and I finally feel like I have to ask a question. Does anyone have an alarm system on their travel trailer?

We just bought half of my father-in-laws Prime-Time Tracer 2600RLS. He needs a little assistance these days and we were looking to get into a camper at the same. We are staging the trailer at our place now so we can do all the pre-camp prep work.

I live in a rural area, and the TT is not easily visible from the road or my neighbors. Although the trailer is fantastic, and the amenities are top end, the doors could probably be opened with a pry-bar in a few seconds.

I have been thinking about adapting a car alarm system, particularly since it is 12 volts and has a motion sensor. If I take some of the weight off the stabalizers there should be enough movement to activate it.

I have also been looking into a home alarm since I will have a big "out of the house" sign up to anyone who is paying attention to the TT not being here. I am wondering if I can get break-in sensors to activae the home alarm.

We have had break-ins in the area and although someone is home most of the time, it is not all the time.

It seems like Camping World and Amazon has everything else we might ever need, but the only alarm option I stumbled onto is designed to activate once the trailer has already been broken open.

Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Regards,
Rich B
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Don't tell anyone, but

I have a blinking red 9 volt battery powered LED that I mounted on a compartment door. Before we leave I connect the battery.
It lasts about 6-7 months of steady blinking.

Radio shack

Bright-Red Blinking LED Module - RadioShack.com

I plan on putting a microswitch in the door deadbolt one day.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
TeresaInCAL

I doubt this is helpful, but we don't lock the door. There's nothing a great value to steal. Someone would cause more damage breaking in. We live in a very rural area, all lots are on 5 acres. I worry more about someone "squatting" in there.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

A blinking red light is also "not helpful" but it might give some kids pause...
Old 09-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
CampingQueen

OK.. just have to ask... which 1/2 did you buy? J/K

Honestly I don't worry too much about the camper & break-in. I do leave the door locked, but it sits pretty close to the house and we have a bunch of 4-legged alarms that would let us know if someone was messing around the camper.
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Hob

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlee453 View Post

Honestly I don't worry too much about the camper & break-in. I do leave the door locked, but it sits pretty close to the house and we have a bunch of 4-legged alarms that would let us know if someone was messing around the camper.
How do you set the alarms on yours to go off? We have a Brittany and show would show them where all the good things are stored if they pet her. Doesn't bark but sure does jump up to be petted.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
How do you set the alarms on yours to go off? We have a Brittany and show would show them where all the good things are stored if they pet her. Doesn't bark but sure does jump up to be petted.
Spears?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Spears?
I would never have expected this reply from you!
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #9

I dont see why any basic car alarn would not work....you could use switches on the doors and a motion sensor inside.......i mean put one on my kids power wheel, so anything is possible!!!!
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlee453 View Post

Apparently we purchased "full and complete responsibility for the trailer"... I am not sure which part that is... I'm guessing the black tank is part of it though. Oh, I we own the mouse and the tree frog that came along with it too. They have been relocated. He owns any part he wants to at the time - he's a good guy and he's been a real help over the years.

We have a two dog crew as well for home protection, but they mostly are guarding against squirrels. Plus they need a mute switch at times.

We are a little concerned because there have been a couple of break-ins, including one time when the widow across the street had just left for 15 miuntes.
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:08 AM   #11

Do you live in a high crime area? Do you already have an alarm system in your house?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #12

We have the same concerns. Our MH sits in the yard except for when we are out with it. There has been some break ins mostly kids I think but in trying to keep the damage to a minimum we are having ADT install a alarm system in the house and decided on a ADT sticker on the MH as a bluff. We also will have a motion sensor in the MH but no door sensor. We hope to make both the house and MH not worth messing with just with the stickers.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
We have the same concerns. Our MH sits in the yard except for when we are out with it. There has been some break ins mostly kids I think but in trying to keep the damage to a minimum we are having ADT install a alarm system in the house and decided on a ADT sticker on the MH as a bluff. We also will have a motion sensor in the MH but no door sensor. We hope to make both the house and MH not worth messing with just with the stickers.
I think the sticker on the mh would be fine, just not on the house. We have an alarm system on the house. I have some friends that are deputy sheriffs and they all told me to take down any signs referring to the alarm system as that is a notice to would be thiefs to cut the telephone wire to disarm the alarm. I know there are wireless alarm systems that don't rely on the telephone wiring, but we haven't upgraded. We removed all signs, etc. Also when we leave, we notify the sheriff's dept to put our house on the Home Surveillance list which entails several times during the day and night, they actually drive up in the drive and inspect the house. They also get a list of what vehicles/persons should be around the property. Son and granddaughter have been challenged a couple of times.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #14

Are camera systems of any use? I see them in walmart now and the price isn't bad.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #15

Cool

Maybe a fence charger?
Buzzard616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

I have used tear gas dispensers but a false alarm could be problematic so I removed them. Now I just use Claymore units strategically placed.

Yea, JK
Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Oklahoma Proud

Wow, you are old school herk what with IED's so popular with the cool kids overseas!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Wow, you are old school herk what with IED's so popular with the cool kids overseas!
Does make for regular camper replacement.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #19

We also use a simple red blinking LED.

No one's broken in yet :-)

https://www.lowclearances.com/amember/go.php?r=1594&i=l0
RVLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #20
daydreaming about camping

According to statistics (which are wrong nearly 50% of the time) the two biggest deterrents to thieves are the owner may have guns and dogs. I suggest getting a couple NRA bumper stickers for the first, since they work even when you are not there, and it sounds like you have a couple dogs.

Pretty much any 12 volt car alarm can be fitted to an RV as long as you have power to it. They will run down most car batteries pretty quick, I know if mine sits for more than 10 days on, then I need a jump or charge. Look for something with door switches, you can decide how many. Most are expandable, so you could mount more switches in baggage doors etc. I have given some thought to doing this, and may in the future.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote