Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
Tony Rpod 180

C/B’s pop connecting to shore power

Here lately when I plug my 2018 R Pod 180 into shore power at home or at camp sites I find a few or almost all c/b's popped. I reset them, and all is good till we break camp and plug in again somewhere else. Was wondering if this is an early sign of power supply failure, c/b's weak, or something else.

FYI-
When plugging in at campsites I always open pedestal c/b before plugging in to camper, at home I just plug into house and then to camper. Also all appliances are off. Either way I do it c/b's are popping.
Any suggestions?
Tony K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #2

I've always turn the Breaker off at Pedestal, plug in cord, turn Breaker back on.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #3
Tony Rpod 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I've always turn the Breaker off at Pedestal, plug in cord, turn Breaker back on.
That’s what I do also at campsites and they still pop
Old 09-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
Ever shut off main and others in camper ?? Shut those off, shut off pedestal, plug in, turn on pedestal, turn on main, turn on rest of breakers. Tech told me to try that years ago if I had problems.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Is it the same breakers each time and do you know which one(s). Voltage does not cause breakers to trip. They are current operated so I suspect that something is on. Unless the converter or main breaker is off, the converter will turn on when connected to shore power.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:32 PM   #6
Tony Rpod 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Is it the same breakers each time and do you know which one(s). Voltage does not cause breakers to trip. They are current operated so I suspect that something is on. Unless the converter or main breaker is off, the converter will turn on when connected to shore power.
It’s been different breakers most of the times and every appliance is always off. Just battery operated things are on like the clock, co 2, and the slide controller.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #7
Site Team

Check the connections in the plugs on the shore power cable and in the shore power connector in the wall of the RV. A loose neutral or a few strands of a wire shorted will cause the symptoms you're seeing. The cable itself could have a defect internally (normally where it bends repeatedly) but that's kinda rare.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #8

Call an electrician. Don't need an RV tech. It's the same electric as a house. Breaks should not be tripping. You have a problem.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
Tony Rpod 180

Thanks for all input
Old 09-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #10

Does the main 30 amp breaker ever trip, or is it always the smaller 20 A. and 15 A. branch circuit breakers?

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ever shut off main and others in camper ?? Shut those off, shut off pedestal, plug in, turn on pedestal, turn on main, turn on rest of breakers. Tech told me to try that years ago if I had problems.
Quote:
It’s been different breakers most of the times and every appliance is always off. Just battery operated things are on like the clock, co 2, and the slide controller.
So... you are saying you shut off the pedestal breaker AND the main breaker in the R/V and then when you turn both of those on, individual breakers pop?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #12
Tony Rpod 180

30a did at least once, and always smaller ones.
We got to camp today and I plugged in and nothing happened this time. Also before we left the house I tried un plugging and plugging it back in and nothing happened again.
Could it be my imagination or could towing trailer over rough highways cause them to spring open?
When I started noticing it was on a long trip to New York and the roads were terrible there and back, also we stopped Times in between and that’s when I started seeing breakers popped, I was assuming they popped when I plugged in.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:20 PM   #13

Quote:
30a did at least once, and always smaller ones.
We got to camp today and I plugged in and nothing happened this time. Also before we left the house I tried un plugging and plugging it back in and nothing happened again.
Could it be my imagination or could towing trailer over rough highways cause them to spring open?
When I started noticing it was on a long trip to New York and the roads were terrible there and back, also we stopped Times in between and that’s when I started seeing breakers popped, I was assuming they popped when I plugged in.
Very possible. After all, they are mechanical devices and if the road is rough enough I could see that happening.

If this issue continues I'd check after you unplug before hitting the road, and again after you arrive at your destination. If you find a breaker in the off position after no power has been applied to the system then your issue is mechanical------rough roads.

Good idea to check and see which breakers you find in the tripped position after a rough road trip. If it's the same one or two every time consider replacing them. They may truly be defective (mechanically).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #14
Tony Rpod 180

Just got back from a quick camp trip. Checked breakers before and after arriving camp, and all good. On day of departure I unhooked from pedestal and all were good. After a 60 minute drive home and about 4 miles of kinda rough road I checked and only ONE 15 amp breaker was tripped this time. This pretty much solidifies for me it is the rough roads, and I don't drive fast either. The roads on the way to New York were much much worse, I believe the worst part was in Indiana.

Tags
power, shore power