Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #1

cabinet fixtures tumbling down

the slideout of my 2004 Flagstaff has been warping, and now my cabinet fixtures are falling down (see photo). First, I have wiring going through the cabinet to two lights. Can I cut the wiring for re-installation later without affecting other electrical units. Thoughts on fixing the warping and reinstalling cabinet unit? I can't spend $$thousands$$. I need something creative (even if temporary) like building a T in the middle (board on top to straighten the warp, and wood beam down middle).
Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 070812.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	16280  

Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

For clarification, where is the warping. In the photo it appears that the slideout ceiling is popped up in the centre at the front of the slide. Is that correct?

Is it a couch slide or couch/dinette slide?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #3

Hi Dave,
thanks for the response. the picture just shows the right 1/2 of the slide out. Here is a more comprehensive picture. It is a couch/dinette slideout. The center of the slideout bent/warped downward causing the cabinet units to come loose on the side. A couple of bumps in transit...and down it came yesterday.
Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 070812b.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	16282  
Old 07-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The roof of the slideout is attached to the front flange along with the facia board and the seal (opposite side). You should check that attachment with the slide in. I'm not positive the exact construction or method of attachment, but it looks like the roof of the slideout needs to be re-attached at the front of the 'box'. You may have to remove the facia board...

Dave

Old 07-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #5

interesting..and makes sense about the construction. I cut the wires to the two lights and capped. got the cabinet frame out. Going camping this weekend, and then have until late August before next event so I'll be removing the facia strip and fixing. I just want to prop up with 2x4 the remaining cabinet over the stove. If you notice from the second picture...it started coming loose in the back.

Going to Knoebel's in elysburg, Pa this coming weekend. Old fashion amusement park in the middle of nowhere with some nice camping onsite. If you ever get to Pa....you should check it out. www.knoebels.com. Thanks again for the help!
Randy
Old 07-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckcellent4u View Post
I'll be removing the facia strip and fixing.
I'd only do that if there's something obivous when you inspect. Push down on the slide roof went it's retracted and see what's up. If nothings loose, it may just be that the top of the 'box' has bowed up. I thought the slideout was constrcted of 2 x 2 aluminum tubing so it shouldn't warp.

I've heard of the slideout roof bowed down in the middle with the suspicion that it had been walked on.

I'd be tempted to try to put a little weight on that high spot on the roof from outside and see there's some give to it. It's a question if the open side of the box isn't square and straight, how do you correct it.

It'd be nice if there was a manufacturing contact to give some direction.

Dave