Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #1

Cable problems

Hi all!

Looking for some help here. I am having problems with the tv cable on my rockwood 8316. I can't seem to get a clear picture. I have changed the cable going from the trailer to the post and have had the post checked.

Both tv's in the trailer are having the same problem which leads me to think it is something beyond my capabilities. Anyone else have any ideas?

Look forward to your replies.

Kelly
redhotcrew2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #2

Just a suggestion...Have you made sure the amplifier is turned off when you are trying cable?
Thats what I usually forget.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #3

Ditto.

If its not that then you have a poor connection somewhere in the cable in circuit to TV. Or a dodgy TV, hope its not that!

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies! The amp has been checked and the connections at the tv's have been checked. I'm thinking that it is a problem with the cable that runs from the outside trailer junction box to the tv's.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #5

That sucks. Sorry to repeat the obvious, but be sure the green light is "off" on the amp, make sure the connectors are up tight, (the DW crossthreaded the post about half a turn and thought that was tight) and we had a poor connection).........and on our exterior point we have two connections which are not labled, only the left one on ours works, this is obviously the "in" the other must be an out if you want to put a tv outside on that side of the rv.

Here is an idea to check the tv, not sure if this makes sense. perhaps some one else can chip in, try connect the tv to the post direct, pass the cable thru the window or door. If it works its not the tv.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Old 05-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #6

On our Toshiba TV if we switch from antena to cable or cable to antena we havre to go to the menu and reselect which one it has to be, I think this is the case, we have had cable for the last three or four sites so I think thats what we had to do.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #7

Have you changed the tv menu from air to cable? I had the same problem when I hooked up to cable. Thought it was a bad cable purchased new still had same problem. Then remembered that I did not change menu on tv.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
On our Toshiba TV if we switch from antena to cable or cable to antena we havre to go to the menu and reselect which one it has to be, I think this is the case, we have had cable for the last three or four sites so I think thats what we had to do.
Good catch Nigel...I had forgotten that.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBFIDY View Post
Good catch Nigel...I had forgotten that.
And thats after my third glass! Cheers Bob!

Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #10

nigel's post #5 last para. try that and see if the problem is actually the service. don't know how they checked it and found it good but it could be "good" and not have an adequate signal.

the other may be ur outside connection itself. if the center connector isn't making good contact or the connection isn't snug, it can do that. the same problem could exist at the pedestal. is it possible to plug into someone else connection just to test? it is possible for those center connections to get stretched. the center lead of rg6 will do that. after awhile, it will give problems to those that use rg59 to connect.

try switching ends with ur connectors. if one center connector is a little shorter, it may not make good contact.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #11

Got the trailer back from the shop on the weekend and can happily report that my cable problem is fixed!! The connection from the outside wall was replaced and can say that picture has never looked so good on the tv's!

Thanks for all the replies!

Kelly