Old 08-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

Calling all Electrical/Battery connection Gurus

Shown below are two pictures of the same battery connections and components. If someone could help me identify numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 I'd be able to sleep better. Click on the individual pictures to enlarge them. I think you'll be able to read my notes. Thank You
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wires.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	7236   Click image for larger version

Name:	wires1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	7237  

Old 08-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #2

I am new here and my be wrong. However, they look like circuit breakers. I have 2 on my Cherokee Lite. On mine they allow the slide to go out on 110. Along with allowing my battery to run the meters and lights. Not sure why you have so many though.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
YUP, all look like circuit breakers

They all look like circuit breakers to me. If you look close you may find a small pin on the end or side to reset the breaker if tripped.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Dismember

Items 3 and 4 certainly look like self-resetting circuit breakers. I can't really see Item 2 to get a reading on it. Item 1 could be a shunt as you suppose, it might also be a master fuse. I lean towards the fuse scenario though. A shunt might typically have much smaller gauge wiring going to it like 14-16AWG. Plus it looks like it has a cover on it which would be typical of a fuse.

Does your rig have a large inverter in it? That looks like some large cabling (>= 3/0?). The terminal block suggestion seems odd to me too. If that were the purpose, wouldn't it have been easier to just group a few of the wires into one ring lug connector and eliminate the need for an separate terminal block?

2010 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 5.7L 4X4
TimeFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #5

1 looks like a master fuse
3 & 4 are Circuit Breakers
2 looks to be a relay Main or slide control power because of the smaller wires to it.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #6

Fog is lifting...a little...Thanks to everyone's help.

The internet is a wonderful tool. I took a picture of #2 using a mirror and then reversed the picture using a photo program. You can see what is printed on the side. After a little poking around on the interweb I found it: I now know what it's called but not sure what it's use is designed for...unless it's for keeping a constant flow of voltage, eliminating spikes, from the altinator...which I doubt.

White-Rodgers 120-105111 solenoid coil 12v DC cont... Solenoid, SPNO, (12 VDC Grounded Coil), Continuous Duty, Normally Open Continuous Contact Rating 100 Amps, Inrush 400 Amps. White-Rodgers part number 120-105111... Shelf Elec5...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Coil.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	7243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Terminal Block.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	7244  
Old 08-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #7

I'm almost getting smart...well a little.

Someone tagged these earlier as some sort of breakers. Numbers 3 and 4. Right! They are Shortstop Mini Breakers, without any type of reset switch or button. I guess one needs to do a continuity check to see if they have blown...or just simply bridge them. The smaller wired one is a 20 Amp and the larger wired one is a 50 Amp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wires1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	7245   Click image for larger version

Name:	shortstop.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	7246  
Old 08-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #8

That's all folks

Google says: #1 is a High Amp Bolt Down Fuse. I don't know the particular amperage of this fuse as it's not stamped on the outside. Probably a generic that's bought by the factory by the thousands. I'm installing an in-line fuse for my inverter tomorrow and there isn't much "beef" to it. So I'd guess the main fuse, #1, is much larger.

Thanks again everyone for helping me with Battery Electrical basics 101.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	High Amp Bolt Down Fuses.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	7247  
Old 08-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #9

Does your rig have a large inverter in it? That looks like some large cabling (>= 3/0?). The terminal block suggestion seems odd to me too. If that were the purpose, wouldn't it have been easier to just group a few of the wires into one ring lug connector and eliminate the need for an separate terminal block?[/QUOTE]

The converter is 55 Amp inverting to 12.75 volt to the batteries. I don't think that's particulary large, but what do I know...

Right on about using one lug ring, it would have been much easier and less expensive. As you've probably read by now I found it by looking on the web, White-Rodgers 120-105111 solenoid coil 12v DC cont
White-Rodgers 120-105111 solenoid coil 12v DC cont.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Dismember

As I said earlier when discussing the circuit breakers, I believe that these are self resetting. They are good for things where you might get a brief spike above a certain level but are better served by having the circuit reset. For example, when I installed a brake controller, I used a self-resetting circuit breaker.

I am not sure what the solenoid is doing unless is part of a system that isolates an inverter or some such. (Your response spoke about your converter, not an inverter. If you are positive that no inverter exists in your rig, perhaps the previous owner removed some electronics but left some wiring in place?

It sure looks like he was doing some "engineering" in there...

2010 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 5.7L 4X4
TimeFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery