Old 07-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
We're running ours on a 20 amp. We'll eventually put in a separate breaker and box, but for now, it's working okay. Good thing too....our A/C is out at home, so we're sleeping in the TT!!!
i can relate to that. once last year, we had to do the same. capacitor went out on the home unit and naturally it was on a weekend.
abt a month ago, the compressor stopped on the home unit. cleaned outside unit coils and, for the most part, it has run every sense.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #12

we had trouble with our a/c tripping the circuit brkr. at the source, not in the camper, upon start up, dealer said to call dometic to trouble shoot, found out that in late 2010, forest river switched to maxx air, we called maxx air and discovered the 15k units were manufactured without a start cap,dont know about the 13.5k units that are std. equip. they did however have for sale, retrofit kits to solve the problem $29.00 + frt. we all know most campgrounds have power issues, the tech at maxx air advised us to install the kit for compressor life, we did buy and install the start cap kit, it took about 5 min. to install, no problems since

Hitch: 1200 Equalizer
Redheaded blue tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #13

Thanks for the insight. I will check the voltage at an outlet in the trailer with the AC running. Now I am wondering if using an adapter to eliminate the 30ft OEM power cord is wise. The additional 30ft of power cord may cause the same or less voltage drop than the adapter. It seems the required amperage for startup is the primary concern. The required amperage after startup is not a real problem. My next question is how much current does the power converter and 12 cubic foot fridge draw. I realize the fridge can be run on propane to minimize the required current during trip prep and travel.
2007 Tundra CM 5.7
Reese Dual Cam
jjarrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #14

I am almost certain I have a Dometic 15K AC unit. Can anyone verify that 2011 Lacrosse units were deliveredcwith Dometic AC units? If so, did the Dometic units come with a capacitor? If not, are startup capacitor kits available?
2007 Tundra CM 5.7
Reese Dual Cam
jjarrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #15
pip

Thanks for all the advice, I will stay with the 20a breaker for now, if it don't work out I will rewire for a 30a breaker.
thanks again

pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #16

Just last week I put in a 30 amp recep for a customer who had been doing the 12 ga cord and adaptor for his 5th wheel. While I was there I also replaced the 20 amp recep and the end on his extension cord that had both burned up. I don't generally have much advice, but if you're going to keep having a camper at home, why not add the correct connection for it. Your appliances will run more efficiently with better voltage. If you're noticing adaptors/cords getting warm, that's an indication that too much amperage is flowing through it. Remember when cords get hot, resistance goes up, amperage goes up and voltage goes down. Also, keep an eye on the blades of your cords, the should be brass colored, not brown or discolored.