Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 07-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
pip

camper ac at home

I have a outside plug next to my camper but I only have 20a breaker, so my question is, so that i can run my ac can I just put a 30a breaker in the panel or do I need heaver wire also, nothing else is on this line & its a 110 plug. do I have to have a 30a box ?

thanks

pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #2

You need to find out what Guage the wire is in the box. I believe #10 is good up to 30amp.

If it were me, I would just add another 30amp breaker and put a 30amp RV plug.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
You need to find out what Guage the wire is in the box. I believe #10 is good up to 30amp.
I agree with Ruben.....don't put a 30 amp breaker on anything smaller than a 10 gauge wire !!!

If you have a 13,500 BTU AC, that 20 amp plug may run the AC as long as you use a heavy duty extension cord, the run is not too long, and there is nothing else on electricity in the camper, including the 12 volt items. I ran my AC off of my 20 amp receptacle several times. If the breaker trips, then discontinue use, and get a true 30 amp setup, including box, 10 gauge wire, and a 30 amp GFI.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #4

Ya, it's actually not hard to do. I had to do a similar setup when running a box out to our garage for my 220v welder plug. Not as hard as it seems and is a safer clean option.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #5

i wouldn't change the breaker either. if all ur wanting to do, at home, is run the a/c and lighting, the 20 amp should carry u. actually, it should carry frig, a/c, and lighting. if u try to add a hw heater or microwave, it will trip.
i camped many years on a 20 amp breaker and ran what i listed above.
on my new (2002 50 amp), i run it on 20 at home. i run each of the a/c units and lighting when i am going to do something in it.
before i go out, i will test both a/c's (seperately) and turn on the frig. the hw heater stays off until i get to the campground.
you may have read that #12 can carry 30 amps but that is under certain conditions and is never fused that high.
leave the 20 amp breaker alone, u shouldn't have any problem keeping the trailer maintained on it.
a 20 amp breaker will carry 20 amps all day long. i don't have my book near me but for short durations, it will carry more than that: if ur slightly over, it may take an hour to trip. the farther over ur r, the less time it takes to trip.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #6

20 AMP Breaker

I ran my AC (15K BTU) on my 20amp 110V receptacle the day I brought my new TT home. I had a 50ft heavy duty RV extension cord and the 30ft cord that came with the camper. It ran the AC and lighting just fine. I ran a voltage drop calculator and the drop was around 2-3 volts if I remember correctly. I would like to use an adapter and only the 50ft extension cord (51ft total length) to minimize the voltage drop and run A/C and lighting while setting up for a trip. I cannot afford to cause damage to my AC unit or fridge however. The 64K question is, how much voltage drop is acceptable without damaging the AC or double fridge???
2007 Tundra CM 5.7
Reese Dual Cam
jjarrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarrard View Post
I ran my AC (15K BTU) on my 20amp 110V receptacle the day I brought my new TT home. I had a 50ft heavy duty RV extension cord and the 30ft cord that came with the camper. It ran the AC and lighting just fine. I ran a voltage drop calculator and the drop was around 2-3 volts if I remember correctly. I would like to use an adapter and only the 50ft extension cord (51ft total length) to minimize the voltage drop and run A/C and lighting while setting up for a trip. I cannot afford to cause damage to my AC unit or fridge however. The 64K question is, how much voltage drop is acceptable without damaging the AC or double fridge???
actual voltage drop may vary.
i ran my first trailer on a 100' #12. the wiring i was attached to was also #12 for another 40 or so ft. that's been 10 years ago and i did measure the voltage at the rv w/ac running but i'm afraid i don't remember. what ever it was, it didn't excite me. that would mean i most likely saw either no noticeable drop or the voltage was still above 115v. cord was not warm so it wasn't overloaded.
currently, i run the 2002 on a 30' #12 and still see 120v (did not check the supply).
ur probably calculating worse cases which are hard to see.
i would get concerned if my voltage dropped to under 115v with a 120v supply. i would shut the a/c down if the voltage dropped below 110v regardless of the supply.
what i would go by is the temp of the extension cord and the voltage in the trailer. u r probably going to see the majority of the voltage drops at ur connections and adapters. i wouldn't want either hot. warm ok but not to the point of softening the rubber connector.

two things i would suggest, turn on a 110V light in the trailer then start the a/c; if it makes a slight flicker, that is ok. if it just abt goes out, u have too much drop. measure the voltage w/ac running. if it is abt 5v, even though that is a lot, i would be ok with it.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #8

on the frig, the control boards run off the dc and don't see short term voltage drops ie a/c starting. the heating element, i wouldn't be concerned.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #9

u got my curiosity: i checked mine and had 121v w/convertor on; started a/c and it dropped to 117v. did the light flicker routine and had a small flicker when a/c started. it's been too many years sense i did that with my last trailer so i really don't remember. this trailer uses a #12 20 or so ft extension cord, two adapters to get from 115v reciptical to 50 amp power cord. in the past, the adaptors is what got warm so i suspect the majority of the drop is there. recptical is abt 15' from home breaker box and is also #12.
a/c started quickly so i am not concerned.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #10

We're running ours on a 20 amp. We'll eventually put in a separate breaker and box, but for now, it's working okay. Good thing too....our A/C is out at home, so we're sleeping in the TT!!!

Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69; Days camped 2014: 12
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote