Old 03-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #1

Can I replace the panel

In my bedroom slideout or can I replace the wallpaper? I have a 2007 Flagstaff 831bhss and had a small leak in the "kids"(rear) slideout. It leaked inside the panel and "popcorned" (a whole lot of bumps) the inside panel. Also a little bit of glue left a brown streak down the inside wall. Can I replace the panel itself or can I just replace the wallpaper covering on the panel. My dealer says if I replace that panel I'll have to repalce all the panels as it will be un even? Does the factory even sell just the wallpaper covering? Any advice or suggestions would be GREAT! Thanks

Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Head Rambler

You can absolutely replace the panel and/or the covering. I don't know if FR will sell you the matching covering or panels but even if they won't you can use luan paneling and buy covering that will compliment your interior. They probably use 5/32" or 1/8" thick panels

Old 03-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I would suggest sanding off the popcorn (if not too pronounced) and using a good quality vinyl wallpaper to cover all the slideout walls. You should be able to find something that will contrast nicely with the surrounding area.

I believe that the "wallpaper" the RV manufacturers use is bonded to the paneling at the factory where it is made and that it is not available as a wallpaper as such. Attempting to replace the paneling , assuming you could get it, might lead to more problems than you already have. I would do so only as a last resort.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #4

I spoke to my dealer about this and they have the matching panels in stock but they said I cannot take the old one out and replace it I'll have to put the new one over top of the old one, If I do that there will be a "ridge" or uneveness between the old panels. I have a call into Forest River this morning to ask them how to proceed. Do you think I could match the "wallpaper" up at say Lowes or Home Depot and just recover the panel or I may have to do the whole room? Thanks for the responses.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennithbk View Post
I spoke to my dealer about this and they have the matching panels in stock but they said I cannot take the old one out and replace it I'll have to put the new one over top of the old one, If I do that there will be a "ridge" or uneveness between the old panels. I have a call into Forest River this morning to ask them how to proceed. Do you think I could match the "wallpaper" up at say Lowes or Home Depot and just recover the panel or I may have to do the whole room? Thanks for the responses.
You could use any wallpaper that would make a nice accent wall. I've seen where there are brick type patterns and others that really set off the room. Good luck with the project. Did you locate the area where the water was getting in?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #6

yes I did find the leak. Fortunatley it only messed up a small part of the panle. I talked to Forest River on Thursday and I ordered the wall paper and seam tape. It should not be to bad of a fix, I just had mixed suggestions from my dealer and another dealer. Any one know of a GOOD/ GREAT caulk for caulking seams on a roof or slide out? Thanks ya'll have been great.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
Head Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennithbk View Post
Any one know of a GOOD/ GREAT caulk for caulking seams on a roof or slide out? Thanks ya'll have been great.
I use the Dicor lap sealant but many people swear by Eternabond and Best Materials seems to have the best price. I'll most likely go with that in the future when I get real ambistous and want to redo the whole roof.