Old 07-23-2019, 11:21 PM   #1

Canít keep air conditioning on

Can anyone point me to some areas to check? I have a 727rl Salem hemisphere 2016 moved to the farm and hooked up to 30 amp plug I canít get fan or air conditioner to stay on it starts up and after a few minutes it turns off I have not had problems before could something have happened over the winter? I have not used up until now if it was a fuse it wouldnít start at all Any ideas would be helpful

Exusps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 AM   #2
Head Rambler

Tell us which A/C and which thermostat you have?
Are there any error codes on the t-stat?

If it's a Dometic you may be able to initialize the thermostat and get it back going.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRTSCB View Post
Hi,
I’m in an older RV (1999 Gulfstream Class A Scenic Cruiser). I have a dual A/C roof mounted system with Duo-Therm by Dometic branding.

Dry camping or driving running off my generator everything works fine for about 10-13 minutes with both units cooling nicely. Suddenly the generator shuts down and with it, both A/C units (naturally). I can leave off for 10 minutes or so then restart the gen. All works well again for about 10-13 minutes before gen again shuts down.

If I’m hooked up to 50 Amps service, no problems.

Anyone able to assist? Please PM me.

Thanks
RRTSCB;2148458, I see this is your first post so Welcome to the forums.

I see you're a new member so I'm offering this knowledge assuming you don't know any better. What you've done here is known as "Hijacking a thread".

Exusps posted a question about his AC issue and he's the original poster. It's considered rude and also can be very confusing to have someone piggyback another question of similar type situation in the same thread, at least until the original poster has had their question answered successfully as instructions or solutions may be confused as meant for one person when they were meant for the other.

May I suggest you start a NEW thread with your question? That way you will know (as well as EXUSPS) that the answers and suggestions given are related only to your question and not his (and vice-versa).
Old 07-25-2019, 02:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exusps View Post
Can anyone point me to some areas to check? I have a 727rl Salem hemisphere 2016 moved to the farm and hooked up to 30 amp plug I canít get fan or air conditioner to stay on it starts up and after a few minutes it turns off I have not had problems before could something have happened over the winter? I have not used up until now if it was a fuse it wouldnít start at all Any ideas would be helpful
EXUSPS- When you say it turns off, does it shut down power to everything in the coach or do the other 120v appliances (Micro wave, residential fridge, outlets, TV) still work? In looking for specs and some pictures of your RV, it appears some of them came with a residential fridge and possibly some with an RV (Propane/electric) fridge.

Are you finding a circuit breaker tripped either in the camper or the outlet that you are plugged into? Or does just letting it sit a while allow you to turn it back on and have it do the same thing? Is the outlet you are plugged into rated for 30 amps? Trying to run an RV AC on a 20 amp outlet is met with mixed results depending on the AC unit, the length of the cord and extension cords (if used).

Are you hearing the fan start up and then a few seconds/minute later the condenser kicking on?

Might be a converter issue not supplying adequate power although on such a new unit, while possible it doesn't seem like the most likely unless you just got a lemon converter.

Hopefully that gives you a few things to check and respond to so everyone can get some more info and lead you to more suggestions to check out.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #5

Converter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
EXUSPS-

Might be a converter issue not supplying adequate power although on such a new unit, while possible it doesn't seem like the most likely unless you just got a lemon converter.
Gus, curious why you made this statement. Everything about the A/C is 120v and would not be affected by the converter, except possibly a digital thermostat/control board. I can't think of any reason why a shift in the 12v system would repeatedly occur 12 minutes after power on. It just seems unlikely

Here's another unlikely example. Suppose that the electric water heater is turned on at the same time as the AC. Voltage drops due to a long/undersized extension cord. After 12 minutes the compressor begins to overheat and shuts down to protect itself.

Or the condenser fan could be bad. After a while it becomes so hot that the compressor works harder to compress the gas, overheats and shuts down.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:44 AM   #6

I agree Larry, Very unlikely, but just thinking it could be a low voltage, lack of power issue on the 120v side.