Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #1

Can you replace stab jacks with leveling jacks?

On your typical bumper-pull travel trailer, can you replace the stabilizer jacks with jacks that can actually lift\level the camper? I'm thinking it would be great to do this provided it will not cause damage to the jack mounts and\or frame. Any advice?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Site Team

i don't know of any TT that has leveling jacks.
some do have electric stabilizing jacks, though.

don't think anything other than motorhomes, have leveling jacks, which have to be hydraulic.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i don't know of any TT that has leveling jacks.
some do have electric stabilizing jacks, though.

don't think anything other than motorhomes, have leveling jacks, which have to be hydraulic.
That's what I've heard, but have seen some hydro-based jacks online like the EZ-Flip and while it's pretty expensive, I can see it making leveling a lot easier.

EZ Flip Down Wireless Leveling System Travel trailer leveling system [] - $1,595.00 : Bigfoot - Quadra Manufacturing, Leveling Systems

They have a demo video on youtube showing it working on a bumper pull TT.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #4

Sounds like a really expensive solution to a perceived problem. Front to back leveling has always been easy for me. Using the tongue jack to raise/lower the front until you are level and then lower the rear stabilizers to stabilize the trailer. How hard is that. BTW if you are really lazy, get a cordless drill to run the stabilizers up/down with.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Sounds like a really expensive solution to a perceived problem. Front to back leveling has always been easy for me. Using the tongue jack to raise/lower the front until you are level and then lower the rear stabilizers to stabilize the trailer. How hard is that. BTW if you are really lazy, get a cordless drill to run the stabilizers up/down with.
it's the side to side leveling that bugs me. We're fine initially, but we find we're out of level by the time the weekend is up due to settling. We camp for 3-4 days at a time and nearly always have to re-level halfway through. I don't know if it's because we're on thick gravel sites or if something else contributes to being out-of-level over time but this solution would be a lot easier than hitching up and re-leveling every 2 days.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Site Team

i agree, i would almost buy a MH just for the automatic leveling systems that some have.
to be able to drive in a site, push a few buttons and you're good. no fooling with Lynx blocks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno76 View Post
it's the side to side leveling that bugs me. We're fine initially, but we find we're out of level by the time the weekend is up due to settling. We camp for 3-4 days at a time and nearly always have to re-level halfway through. I don't know if it's because we're on thick gravel sites or if something else contributes to being out-of-level over time but this solution would be a lot easier than hitching up and re-leveling every 2 days.
Ours ends up not level as well but I see no reason to ever relevel it as it is not that far out anyway. THe fridge will still operate in an unlevel trailer unless it is way off.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

With the lite weight frames used on many travel trailers, I don't think it would be wise to use any kind of jack that would raise the trailer.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
With the lite weight frames used on many travel trailers, I don't think it would be wise to use any kind of jack that would raise the trailer.
I would agree. Although, I guess it depends on your mounting points.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #10

My dealer told me specifically that the stabilizer jacks are just that, and to lift the trailer to "level" it with them would eventually bend the frames.

For once, I think I got good advice from the dealer...

But yea, I never use my scissors to level side to side.
fajitas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno76 View Post
What sort of blocks do you put under the stabilizers?
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
What sort of blocks do you put under the stabilizers?
We use wood blocks for the stab jacks (2x6's) and I level the wheels with Lynx blocks. I guess it doesn't get that far out of level after seeing some replies from others....it's no more than 1-2 degrees over the course of 4 days. Maybe it's just my OCD showing through
Old 10-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #13

rhyno 76 how far out of level do you get after 4-5 days camping?? I've stayed put for up to 2 weeks without having to relevel. I do put a large foot print board under the jacks before leveling to prevent sinkage, and if the ground is soft also put boards under tires to prevent sinkage. You don't have to keep the trl perfectly level all the time, a little off plumb is OK.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote