Old 09-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
2012 Solera
Or you could have a propane leak, or, if a combo detector, Carbon monoxide from some source. Especially would suspect a leak if detector doesn't alarm with propane turned off and alarms when propane is turned back on. Although these detectors are notorious for premature wear-out resulting in false alarms, first response should be "believe your instruments"!

2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #12
Well I let the TT stay "gased up" for over 24 hours and no alarm. I'm home now and I'm going to check the fittings on all of the gas lines to be sure.

Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #13
A couple of things - carbon monoxide (CO) is not lighter than air, it is about the same weight, and mixes very easily. There is no difference in mounting a CO detector high or low.

Propane is heavier than air, and tends to sink. That's why the combo propane/CO detectors are mounted low.

The combo propane/CO detectors used in RVs generally are hard-wired to a 12V circuit. The electronics will sound the alarm if the battery voltage dips too much (I don't know how much).

CO detectors have a limited life span - the newest can last 7 years, earlier models lasted 5 years or less. If your RV is approaching 5 years old, expect the CO detector to start beeping (replacement warning) for no apparent reason. Some CO detectors fail early, and begin the no-reason-known beeping very early in their life.

Fire (really smoke) detectors should be mounted high, and are usually 9V battery powered (same as your house). Plan on replacing that battery every spring as part of getting ready to camp (same as your house).

Or get surprised, like I did, by a constant chirp. I thought it was the CO/propane alarm that was chirping, and ended up cutting the wires to the CO/propane alarm in an effort to shut it up (after pulling all the fuses). Finally realized it was the smoke alarm chirping when I looked up at my A-frame ceiling.

The first time I turned on the hot water heater in my A-frame, the CO/propane alarm went off - apparently not unheard of in the A-frames. Reset everything and have not had a problems since (except for rewiring as a result of my SPUT).

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #14
On mine the wiring in the basement was stretched so tight that on a very hot day heat expansion
would cause the in-line 12vdc fuse intermittently lose contact and make the detector beep.
SOLD '05 NuWa HHII 32.5 UKTG
05 Ford F-250 Supercab 6.0L SRW
nwtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #15
All detectors from my experience are prone to collecting dust at some point, which will also affect them and cause them to chirp. Seasonally I will gentle blow air into the sensor opening, then put the vacuum hose on it to clean out any dust ... it seems to work well.

While the RV/TT often come with a combo LP/CO detector, I buy a separate CO monitor and place it in the sleeping area (bedroom) as a safety precaution ... it's cheap life insurance given the number of accidental deaths that occur each year from CO issues.

I've also learned the hard way recently that if you use expanding foam inside the trailer, it will set off the combo unit repeatedly unit you get the trailer aired out

2009 Salem PT 403FB
2005 Ford XLT Supercrew
Cookies & Chips is offline   Reply With Quote