Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #1

Ceiling fan replacement

We have two ceiling fans in our Cedar Creek 36RD5S, neither of which will blow enough air to move paper.

Problem solved..
I replaced the 4 blade 42" fan in the den with a 5 blade fan from Lowe's.
New fan puts out much more air.

If anyone wants to try switching ceiling fans, beware that the new fan I bought attaches to the ceiling on a swivel mechanism and the existing fans on travel trailer (that I have seen) are fixed mounted so they will not swivel/swing around while traveling( and bump the ceiling). I had to use the old ceiling bracket with the new fan to make the new fan a fix mount.

The kitchen fan is next, and I have noticed that the cabinet doors get close to the fan, so I will have to measure one more time to see if the new fan will clear everything, including the slideout in the kitchen.

2017 Chevy Silverado High Country
gmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #2

Check the directions on your fan. Most or at least many ceiling fans can be assembled without the drop rod and swivel.
Buzzard616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard616 View Post
Check the directions on your fan. Most or at least many ceiling fans can be assembled without the drop rod and swivel.
X2 - most ceiling fans can be made to hug the ceiling - re-check your instructions
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard616 View Post

FYI,
The ceiling fan I installed was a ceiling hugger and had no drop rod included with the hardware. There was only one bracket to attach the fan and only one way to install the fan. On a flat ceiling the install would have been easy, but the ceiling in the den area of my fifth wheel is slanted.

2017 Chevy Silverado High Country
gmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccall View Post
FYI,
The ceiling fan I installed was a ceiling hugger and had no drop rod included with the hardware. There was only one bracket to attach the fan and only one way to install the fan. On a flat ceiling the install would have been easy, but the ceiling in the den area of my fifth wheel is slanted.
if it hangs too low with the rod then you might be able to cut the rod down and re-drill the hole in the end to bring it closer to the ceiling.

Not sure what your fan rod looks like but I have installed a few Fans and have the Rod's left over to try and modify or possibly Home Depot sells the rod so in case you modify it and it doesnt come out right you can re-install the same way it was
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan